SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
0nametaken0

Painful Lesson - New to Hobby

0nametaken0
10 years ago

Hi guys, heres my story.

A few years ago my family root/blood side of the planting aspect came out. I, all of a sudden, got interested in plants. Now Ive been keeping a planted aquarium for several years (which ties to my dad keeping fishes). So, Dec of 2012 I bought succulents, semps and agaves. Spring time I put them out in my balcony and everything flourished (excpt for the 2 agaves I got late in the seasons, theyve not grown at all, heard they are very slooow). By the end of summer everything was beautiful, I felt like I did something right. Fall came and I moved all my succulents inside. Semps stayed out and I was not worried about them.

Soon after bringing them inside, I noticed some of my plants had retarded growth and saw white fuzz. I googled what it was and asked here and found out it was mealy bugs. Dam @#$@%@#$ things. I found out too late. I soap water sprayed the plants and poured isopropyl alcohol for weeks but it was too late. Majority of the plants lost their leaves and some were almost dead. Adding in the sudden lost of summer light it was too much. Hardly anything survived. I took a pic today and Im still not sure if mealies are alive. I see new growth in some of the plants and I see white spots. I just cant tell if they are old. Ive not seen any mealies moving around in months. So I think they are dead. I soap watered the plants after a few months. Its such a hard break.

On top of this I ended up killing majority of my semps as well. I saw that the temps went to above freezing for 2 days so watered them. Soon after I find out they are all soggy. Ill wait till spring before throwing them out.

So, once again, Im looking for plants that are hardy to zone 5. Id love to buy clippings of cactus and succulents before spring again. Im still searching for a forum or a site where people buy and sell succulents. I really dont like the trade only feature on this forum. As I mentioned before, Im new to the hobby, I dont have anything to trade. I really dont want to buy from ebay and nurseries when I can support the fellow hobbyists.

Last thing, Ill probably clean up the box and plant new plants there in spring. Is it safe to do so? Do you think the mealies are dead? How can I disinfect the soil?

Theres a pic of everything outside, thats of Sep 18th 2013. The pic of it under my T8s is of Oct 12 or around that time, 2013.

{{gwi:493324}}

This post was edited by NameTaken on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 17:33

Comments (13)