SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magickiwi

Alfalfa tea fertilizer - yum!

magickiwi
16 years ago

Thought I would share my friends wonderful tea recipe with you - it really works wonders on any plants.

You will need to go to a seed and feed store and buy a 50 lb bag of alfalfa. Either pellets or meal, but make sure there's no salt in it, just alfalfa. It will cost about $9.00.

Put 12 cups of the alfalfa in a 32 gallon plastic trash can with a lid that seals. Put it in the sun. Fill it with water to about 6 inches from the top. Seal the lid and leave it for a week or 10 days. Stir it once a day with a shovel. I put the remainder in another 32 gallon trash can in my garden shed.

About two weeks after you use it, you will notice strong new growth on your plants. If my memory serves, it gives the plant a quick kick of nitrogen. Some rose growers use it weekly. I use it about once a month. I dip out about a gallon and pour it on each rosebush. Water either before or after. I've never had it burn, but I've heard stories.

It does not smell pleasant. Kind of like a barn. If you want to give the plants an extra-great treat, mix in fish emulsion, ironite or whatever other food goodies you use before feeding.

If you're willing to do this, you know you're a true plant geek!

PS - I just mix up 2 cups of the pellets in a 5 gal bucket and fill with warm water. When it is ready I dip a couple of cups of that into my watering can, fill with 2 gal water and use that on my brugs. When I mix up a large amount I put that all over my gardens and plants - the deer don't like it but the plants just leap out of the ground - to get away from the smell I suppose! The lovely aroma doesn't last very long. If I am using it around the house then I put it on later in the evening so that the smell is gone by morning!

Comments (4)