SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
backyardgrown

Puppy+WS containers = disaster?

backyardgrown
13 years ago

We are getting a lab puppy at the end of November, so I have to come up with a solution for my WS containers that will keep them AND the puppy from meeting an untimely demise. I've contemplated putting my greenhouse up again, but I really don't want to. After it got flipped over by a thunderstorm/tornado last year I'm skittish.

I have multi-tier shelving that can be broken down to various heights, and I'm thinking about using that. I live on a hill and we get terrible wind out of the South in the winter so I have to find a good spot. I'm seriously considering putting everything on the porch and watering it once a week. It would still be less trouble than the greenhouse.

I have plenty of containers and meeellllions of seeds. I'll mostly be starting the perennials in December and most of my annuals in Jan/Feb that can't be dsowed. If I absolutely have to put the greenhouse up again I have plenty of time.

I just hope I don't run out of time and/or space like I did last year. I lost a lot of stuff that I started because it got too hot too quick and I ran out of room. Bummer!

Preliminary list:

Scabiosa 'Cutbrite'

Echinops 'Ritro'

Several different varieties of chrysanthemum (I'm at work so I can't look)

Rudbeckia 'Double Gold' - These did GREAT in my garden this year. I grew them in the greenhouse last winter, but I suspect they will do just as well ws. I need MORE of them.

Calendula 'Pink Surprise' - Also going to dsow some of these and see what happens.

Several varieties of dianthus

Annual phlox in several colors

Aquilegia 'Barlow'

Perennial Aster mix

Matthiola (stock) 'Anytime' mix - These will also be started throughout the year if they do better in the heat than other stock.

Veronica 'Sightseeing' mix

Verbena hastata 'Pink spires'

I have a lot of others that I can't think of right now, but they are patiently waiting in my seed box.

I already dsowed Lupines, coreopsis, hollyhocks (Chater's Double white), Pyrethrum daisies, Purple prairie clover. These all do really well dsowed in fall here and allowed to grow a bit before it gets cold. The lupines will probably peter out before I need them unfortunately due to the heat, but I'll enjoy them while they last. In my zone I can plant sweet peas (lathyrus odoratus) directly in the ground now and they will bloom like crazy come early spring. Throwing out some poppy seed soon too to see what they do. I've not had luck with them before, but I'm throwing them out earlier this year.

This is my first experience with ws. I've always used a greenhouse before and I'm a bit nervous, but I know it works well if the pictures here are any indication. ;-)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions