SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

1st Year WS Questions

16 years ago

May seem silly or too basic but I have 2 questions:

1) I have a few bags of MiracleGro "moisture retention" potting soil left from container planting. Can I use it for WS or will it hold TOO much moisture, leave containers like blocks of ice and totally prevent/impede germination?

2) Once snow accumulates on top of containers left outside do I just leave it to melt naturally or remove it to maximize light reaching containers after they're covered by snow?

The MiracleGro moisture retentive potting soil has little "beads" that, once hit with water before potting, turn into a gel like substance that's supposed to allow for less frequent watering. Bought it because people at two nurseries said they use it for their potting and it already has amendments/nutrients added.

If I were buying again for WS I'd stick with usual potting soil but I have these bags already. If experienced winter sowers don't think it's a good idea I'll leave this moisture retentive MiracleGro for another use and get "regular" potting soil for WS.

Thanks for any input you can provide. Don't want to use this potting soil, tend, wait and watch all winter and then have nothing but containers of mush without any little plants come spring! I'm willing to accept some failure as part of the adventure but a total failure because I didn't make sure about the potting soil wouldn't do.

Comments (14)

Sponsored