SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pennyhal

How far is far enough for mealies

pennyhal
12 years ago

I have identified my second case of mealies on my succulents today. In the 37 years of gardening around this house, this is probably only the 5th case of mealies I have ever had, with case number 4 just being a week or so ago with another succulent inside the house. So, I'm a little clueless about dealing with them.

I was cutting off some echeverias pups from the parent plant to root carefully following everyone's advice. When I cut the first one off I noticed a white spot on it with legs, and when I pulled off the old leaves, I could see that there was a sizeable infestation that I had not noticed before. I was going to scream, but didn't want to scare the neighbors. Got out the bug killer, and did my best to kill every living thing on the plant.

Then I had to decide where to "isolate" it. Like where do you put an infested plant in your garden that it's not near another plant? How far away does it need to be so that the mealy bug with wings just doesn't do a fly over to the next one? I'm hysterical to think that it was next to some of my other succulents and did an inspection of them, but fortunately did not find mealies anywhere else...yet.

If I give the plant a systemic soil drench, am I correct in assuming that their could be mealies hiding in crevices or under dead leaves in the pot that could survive it? or will just getting wet with a systemic kill it? Maybe I should just give all the plants a systemic as a preventative measure. I'm getting carried away here. These big nurseries must have an ongoing bug killing program to keep pests out of their nurseries and I sure understand why.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus