SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Removing Baby From MotherBulb

jodik_gw
16 years ago

I have a question regarding the removal of a baby from its mother... the mother is my prized Minerva. She developed a baby, or offset, earlier this year... the baby now has 4 large leaves of its own, the longest about 3 feet, I'd guess. I'd like to remove it from the mother... not right away, but when spring breaks and I re-pot them both... the baby isn't growing from the lower part of Minerva, but rather is attached like an appendage right from her side near the soil surface... my question is... do I have to injure Minerva with a sharp knife to remove the baby? I will if I have to, but I'd prefer not to.

The other babies I see starting on other bulbs I have are not attached the same way... they appear to be more like bulbils, growing up from the basal plate of the bulb, and separated by a thin sheath of skin layer...

Could they be different types of babies, in other words, different ways of propagating themselves? Offset vs. bulblet? Or something to that effect? Any suggestions or observances would be appreciated... :-)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions