SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Rendered Speechless

susanlynne48
12 years ago

Well, I've been checking in here the last couple of days trying to figure out what to say about this butterfly year 2012 in Oklahoma City, and I just have nothing but adjectives to express the huge population of butterflies this year.

I've had a lot of butterflies to be sure, but I guess it was day before yesterday, Tuesday, that I came to realize that I have more butterflies than I have ever seen since I started butterfly gardening about 14 years ago. I came home early afternoon, following a shopping trip to find summer clothes for my GD, Charlotte (OMG - I got her some gladiator sandals and she looks so cute in them). My DD and I had a great day. As I walked up the sidewalk to the porch, it struck me that I was being bombarded by butterflies flying everywhere. I mean, it was like a tornado of them.

The suet feeder was full, and I had a plate on the porch as well. There were 6 of the biggest Mourning Cloaks I have ever seen feeding. The size of one of them nearly covered the side of the suet feeder. I've never seen such HUGE Mourning Cloaks. There were so many Question Marks, Red Admirals, and Hackberry Emperors, I could not count them all. This in addiition to Variegated Frits (I have at least 6 or 7 around at all times), Painted Ladies, Cabbage Whites, Clouded Sulphurs, Orange Sulphurs, Sleepy Oranges, and Skippers. I have not seen that many Mourning Cloaks at one time EVER! Or, this late in spring! Get ready Northerners, there is an explosion of them, too. I am hoping for eggs, but not not seeing any egg laying going on.....yet.

The Mourning Cloaks are on the feeders at 7:00 a.m. when I go out, and are still feeding at dusk. I've not seen them stay like this either. They usually stop for awhile and then move on.

Now, this surprised me, but maybe some of you have seen this on occasion. Yesterday morning when I first went out, there was a Painted Lady feeding on the fruit dish. That was a new one on me, too.

Last night I was out walking around, checking the flowers, and I found Monarch eggs and a cat on the Asclepias speciosa! Totally missed that visit.

I also witnessed the Question Marks laying eggs on the Hops Vine! That's also a first for me.

This probably doesn't seem out of the ordinary to many of you, but I have a very small urban setting/property, so it is quite extraordinary for me. Yesterday I was driving around to run errands, though, and I began to take note of the butterflies around me. There was not a spot in my field of vision that did not contain at least one butterfly in it. It seems that OKC is filled with butterflies at the moment everywhere you go!

It is like nothing I have ever seen before, and truly AMAZING! I hope you all are seeing/get to see these beauties this summer, too!

Susan

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21