SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elbereth_gw

Amaryllis with red blotch?

elbereth
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I just bought an amaryllis growing kit at Costco (yes, not a good place to buy plants, but I couldn't resist double amaryllis on sale). The bulb had a lot of large red spots, which I suppose to be red blotch from the internet research I've done so far. But one site I checked said that the fungal disease shows up as red spots with yellow halos, whereas the red spots on my bulb had no yellow markings, so I'm not sure.

I peeled off all the top layers that had red spots on them, and cut out one rotting spot near the base of the bulb. Some of the roots were mushy so I cut them and the red spots on the base of the bulb from which they sprouted as well. I placed the bulb in a vase with a narrow neck and filled it with water up to the base of the bulb. The bulb also had a little bulb with no roots attached, also infected. What should I do with it?

Anyone know if this really is red blotch? (I didn't think to take a picture of the bulb before I cut off the red spots unfortunately. I did take a picture of some of the scales I peeled off, but I'm not sure how to post it on the forum ... I'm totally new here.) I placed the bulb far away from my other amaryllis, but is there still a chance it may get infected? And can the disease spread to unrelated plants as well? And should I throw away the soil that came in the kit?

I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions