SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marywi_gw

Report on use of Neem for Red blotch

marywi
18 years ago

Hello all-- I have been 'lurking' for a long time, but not posting. First of all, i am very glad we have a separate forum.

About a year and a half ago i asked a question about the use of neem oil as a treatment for red blotch, since it is labeled (Schultz 'Garden Safe' Fungicide-3 -- funicide, insecticide & miticide). At that time i received one short answer that it WOULD NOT WORK. I had 3 large bulbs that my daughter had brought back from the netherlands that had signs of red blotch. It seemed to me as if it should work, since the problem is two-fold--- fungus and mites. So i tried it and would like to report that i have had some sucess.

I planted the bulbs in Feb 05. They bloomed, but had serious red blotch problems. I kept them isolated from my other bulbs, and tried to do just enough 'surgery' to remove the worst spots on the outer layers. I watered only from the bottom (thanks Hans). One of the three was too infected (in the neck of the bulb) and i had to put it out of its misery. : (

When it was warm outside, i sprayed the bulb top & soil, and they spent the summer on my porch, (more sun that I had previously given amaryllis).

Although i have read here that they would do better if left undisturbed, I wanted to be able to spray everything, so in the fall i removed them from their pots , removed as much soil as i could as well as any infected tissue, cut off the leaves and sprayed the neck of the bulb, sprayed the bulb & roots well and let them rest in brown paper bags. This spring i sprayed them well again and planted them. Both bloomed-- 2 scapes each, both with 6 flowers on the first scape and 5 flower on the second. They look healthy and clean. I still water only from the bottom.

Last year I also cross pollenated them and have a couple dozen healthy looking children that are almost a year old-- thanks to all the great info i've learned here.

If anyone can tell me where to find the directions for posting pictures, i will do so.

mary

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions