SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
run_with_scissors

An RRD report

run_with_scissors
14 years ago

I'm sad to announce the presence of Rose Rosette Disease (RRD) in my garden. I'm located in Ann Arbor, MI (Washtenaw County).

After one or two seasons of watching my Madison landscape shrub decline I noticed witch's broom growth. At that point I knew nothing about RRD and assumed the weird growth was due to over-fertilization. I removed the shrub after deciding it had declined to the point of no return. Late last year I noticed one of my Cherry Meidilands had bright red, rubbery branches with spiraling canes. I removed it this spring after I found out it was RRD.

After 10 years of gardening, my collection of roses in my cottage-style garden grew to 130+ and my knowledge, while not vast, had increased substantially. And yet I had not heard of RRD until I did some digging around on the internet and searching on the Garden Web forum.

This spring, after removing the Cherry Meidiland shrub I kept a close eye on the other roses. I didn't want to mistake spring growth for RRD. But after more careful analysis and on-line research & comparison of photos to my roses I've come to the conclusion that RRD is throughout my entire bed - with a few exceptions. Yesterday I removed the worst of the worst and will let the others have their spring bloom before removing them. The victims, so far, include:

New Dawn

Winchester Cathedral*

Heritage*

Carefree Beauty*

Mr. Lincoln

Carefree Wonder

Dublin Bay*

Earth Song*

Griff's Big Red*

Abraham Darby*

Mary Rose*

Hawkeye Belle*

Westerland*

some Hybrid Musks whoses names I can't remember

some Bucks whose names I can't remember

There are a few roses not yet showing any signs of RRD:

Garden Party

Maiden's Blush*

Queen of Denmark*

Alain Blanchard*

Baron Provost* (2 shrubs planted in different areas of the garden)

Golden Wings*

Harrison's Yellow* (3 shrubs far removed, but downwind, from the main garden)

* own root

I have carefully read Ann Peck's e-book (thank you very much for your work and for providing it on-line), searched and read the Garden Web forums, and checked a few other sites. I have some unanswered questions (If you're still reading my post at this point):

Some canes will be red when young before turning green. What is the usual length of time before they turn green? 1 to 2 days, 1 to 2 weeks, 1 to 2 months? I realize it depends on the shrub but some guidance here would be helpful.

Same question regarding soft canes & thorns. At what point should I expect them to harden?

What are some of the *earliest* signs of RRD? Again I realize it depends on the shrub but if there is, for example, a list of 5 things to look for then I won't have to wait until witch's broom appears to confirm the presence of RRD.

Are unsymmetrical leaves *always* a sign of RRD or can mutant leaves occasionally show up on healthy sbrubs?

So far my process has been to look for red canes, rubbery canes, hyper-thorniness, soft thorns, bright red canes or thorns or both, red-edged leaves, pebbly textured leaves, assymetrical leaves, longer-than-usual sepals (not entirely sure about this one) and unusual growth appearing next to a normal looking cane on the same shrub. If the shrub has 2 to 3 of the symptoms then I believe it has RRD. Based on that I believe I will lose 90% of my roses this year. I think I'll be able to keep Maiden's Blush & Queen of Denmark because they're in the middle of ths mess and yet have none of the symptoms listed. I dare to dream I can keep them.

I don't know the source of the RRD. To my knowledge there is no multi-flora invasion nearby with or without RRD. At this point it doesn't really matter.

It feels like I've been punched in the stomach. Each year I spend hundreds of dollars on fertilizers and hundreds of hours feeding, fussing over and talking to my thorny babies. Visitors gasp in delight when they step into my little paradise.

If my 90% prediction comes true then I will not be replacing the loss. I will plant instead more perennuals, ornamental shrubs and annuals. I will spend my time and money on bike-riding, book-reading and traveling. C'est la vie.

enjoy the day, Karol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Peck's web book on RRD

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths