SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stitzelweller

Incrementally Increasing Sunlight in Vrieseas

stitzelweller
17 years ago

My goal is to maximize sunlight to my Vrieseas hieroglyphica and fosteriana for optimal growth. I'm looking for advice from experienced growers.

I am currently growing without the benefit of a greenhouse. I have "acclimated" the hieroglyphica outdoors to direct sun (Maryland) until 12:45. Then, I bring it indoors where it gets bright indirect for the remainder of the day. I have been gradually increasing the time outdoors. I don't know what the "limit" is, yet.

I just started to notice that the tips of the leaves are curling under a bit. I have noticed this on my Vriesea fenestralis. In fact, I use the fenestralis as a "sentinel" telling me to provide some shade for the most vulnerable of my orchids. It is a very effective visual tool! The fenestralis leaves curl dramatically and at least 90 minutes earlier than the hieroglyphica.

Of course, I don't want to cause ANY tissues damage. I don't mind stimulating some protective pigmentation. Short of causing tissue damage in the hieroglyphica's leaves (yellow, blanching, brown, black), are there any other signs for which I should be watching?

I suspect that the curling leaves are a key indicator, but I'm not certain. Maybe, it's just a defensive mechanism which doesn't necessarily indicate imminent damage or severe stress?

I have been simultaneously going through the same routine with my Vriesea fosteriana var. seideliana. This plant seems to be more tolerant of the overhead sunlight. It is now outside until 1400 hrs and loving it! Not a scintilla of evidence that the direct sunlight is affecting it. I will continue to gradually lengthen the direct exposure. I recall reading (somewhere!?) last year that this species is quite tolerant to full sun exposure when given adequate acclimation.

I don't know the answers; that's why I'm asking y'all for some help, please!

°Stitz°

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions