SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gramsharon

gramsharon
16 years ago

I wish to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Sharon. I reside in north central Mn., where we are in a cold snap of -9 and a windchill factor of -25F. It's not exactly gardening season especially in Mn. However, I have three brugs that are thriving indoors, which I had in my yard last summer. They have bloomed once perhaps late Nov. It seems perhaps new blooms are beginning. I absolutely love brugs and dats. I began many dats last Mar. from seed. They were a challenge and a success. I enjoy reading all of the info on the forum and look forward to learning and participating with all of those dedicated to these beautiful plants.

Comments (41)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Welcome Sharon. I don't think I'll complain about the temps here anymore. Yikes, -25 windchill, brrrrrr!!!!!! You must really have a short growing season. How long can you keep your tender plants outside? Do you keep your brugs in containers or do you sink the pots in the yard? How have you managed to keep your collection to 3? If you stay with this forum for any length of time I'm sure you'll end up with more. It's like a disease, albeit a benign one. lol
    Karyn

• pagrdnr
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon welcome to the forum!

• Related Discussions

[Newbie] Container Soil Question [Newbie]

Q

Comments (6)
    Check out the earthtainer construcion guide for some mix info for a self watering planter, or just search container mix. Most will be a soil-less mix, there are a ton of great threads on here regarding container mixes, fertilization, and also water movement/retention. The poster above "Al" has some very informative and detailed explanations. It seems like gardening is such a varied and expansive topic that searches very rarely yield a simple, direct clear answer to a question. The answers I have found have been partly from searches, partly from posting a question, and partly from reading older posts ( sometimes not directly related to my original question ). There is an enormous wealth of knowledge here, take advantage of it, I did and have learned alot.
    ...See More

Six Newbie Packs ready to go from the Newbie Seed Project 2012-13

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi. I see that I am not one of the first six to reply. But if you happen to still have some seed packs still available I would love some - either the flowers, veggies, or both. Thanks for doing this!
    ...See More

SEEDS For NEWBIES: The Newbie Seed Project January 2016

Q

Comments (92)
    I have seeds to send to you for the Newbie packets but I lost your address. I'm so sorry I haven't gotten them to you sooner, the holidays and Real Life happened and frankly, 2016 is for crap thus far, but I want to get these out to you since you very kindly sent me some seeds last years right after we moved. Please let me know where to send them and I'll get them out to you right away.
    ...See More

NEWBIE SEED PROJECT - Seeds for Newbies - MARCH 2019

Q

Comments (16)
    Val, I received the package. I was delighted to see so many different varieties! I am very excited to start the plants indoors, and when it's warmer will sow some outside. Thanks so much!
    ...See More
  • daniellalell
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon! Welcome to our wonderful, crazy forum! Don't be shy!
    Daniella

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcome. Being in zone 3, I safely put out hardy plants around Memorial Day but we can have frost through the first week in June. And we're pushing it for safe planting through Labor Day. Our summers of '06 and '07 were extremely hot and dry, not typical by any means. I kept the three brugs I have in my home in planters at our summer cabin last summer and brought them home with me at the end of the summer. I have them in 10"hx9"w pots for the wintertime, which is a first time trial for me. They're in a south viewing window and are thriving very well. I keep a constant eye on them for aphids/bugs. It seems the scent of the leaves attracts them so I'm always on the watch so they don't get infested. Last summer with them outdoors, I had a major infestation on one so was cleaning it with soap/water systemically. I'm persistent and consistent. I did begin many dats last winter and they did well during the summer. I didn't see any hummers or butterflies in them, though. What's your experience with attracting hummers/b'flies?
    Ohhh....and....I'm not shy (wink, wink).

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Welcome, Sharon. What a challenge growing Brugs in your area!!! I've got to remember not to complain about my weather too much lol!! How do you hold yourself to only 3 Brugs...? I think that will be a temporary condition! Look forward to talking with you on the forum. Gloria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

My daturas will attract butterflies but not hummers. The brugs don't attract either but do attract moths. This was brought up before and I'm guessing the reason that the brugs attract the nighttime pollinators is that their scent is only detected at night. I do get bees on both, mainly bumblebees, not as many honeybees and don't know the reason. Maybe because of the decline in the honeybee population? I get very few naturally pollinated brug flowers but have loads of datura seed pods. I'm pretty sure the daturas are self pollinators.
    Karyn

• gardenpaw
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon!
    Welcome, Im sure when warm weather comes your brug count
    will go up!
    Nice to see you here.
    Karen

• karmahappytoes
    16 years ago

Welcome gramsharon. There are lots of folks up your way that grow Brugmansia and Datura! Again welcome!

• threas
    16 years ago

Welcome, Sharon! Nice to meet you. This is a great group. So glad you joined us!
    Theresa

• rigo74
    16 years ago

Welcome to the family Sharon:0)
    You have come to the right place to learn about Brugs & Dats.
    Rigo74

• chena
    16 years ago

Hey Sharon!! I love those NOT SO SHY Folks!!!LOL makes me look polite ;^)...LOL
    WELCOME!!! I am so glad you decided to join the madness.. Ya know come June here it is all but 105* outside...and you are just planting?
    We'll have to work on that only 3 Brug thang... I look forward to seeing you around.. We love pic's.. show us yours..
    Kylie

• vaskirt
    16 years ago

Welcome Sharon !! Glad to have new folks !! You will love it here, so many nice people !! Edna

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Heya Sharon! Welcome to the forum. You got pictures??

• napdognewfie
    16 years ago

Welcome Sharon, Lots of great info & friendly people here.

Linda

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for such fantastic greetings. Would ya' believe I don't have a digital camera?! I almost did a year ago for my birthday but didn't want my daughter and son spending money for me and asked them to return it. So, I'm kinda' ol' fashioned with the tried and somewhat true 35 mm. or so it seems till the photo developing is picked up only to find some of the perhaps most treasured of shots didn't develop. So, I'll lurk and enjoy the pictures proudly shared by those on the forum.

• chena
    16 years ago

A Camera is not prerequisite .... LOL We are just Happy to have you here..
    Kylie

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Welcome Sharon! I guess I won't complain about being cold anymore either, lol. Well I will but I will at least think about you when I do it. What color are your brugs? We are a bunch of enablers on here so if you want more brugs you will soon have more than you know what to do with, lol. Nice to have you here.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Welcome Sharon. If you don't have a digital camera, do you have a scanner or perhaps you daughter or son have one? You can then scan your pictures taken with your 35mm camera and post! Hope you enjoy the group here.

• neonposey
    16 years ago

Welcome Sharon! I look forward to getting to you know and your brugs. :)

• chena
    16 years ago

You could always have a disc made with you get your developing done..

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Sat. morning from -15 F. N. Mn. and that's not including windchill factor. Many activities and events are cancelled for the weekend because of the cold temps. I do have a scanner. There's a reason that I have only three brugs overwintering. Our summer cabin is accessible only by boat or snowmobile. There are no roads. We haul everything over water during the spring-fall to and from the cabin. It's much more fun to set things up in the spring vs. hauling via boat to the marina, in the vehicle and home. Also, my husband and I are disabled which accounts for our limitations but I am so happy to have the three brugs that I have. If there are those who would wish to share some of their "baby brugs", I know my sister would be absolutely thrilled beyond words. My brugs are white. They're beautiful at night at the lake especially when there's a full moon. But, all of the water up here is frozen over with feet of ice. It's amazing the transformation the seasons present us with from winter to summer especially.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Welcome to the forum Sharon! Always wonderful to have more people.

Re -15 temps - I feel your pain. It's a high of 2 right now here, and that's not windchill either. (Illinois)

I'm in your boat - as of right now - I cannot ship out or have incoming, either. I have to go into a "holding" pattern. Very few vendors can use heat packs to ship stuff and I think I lost 3 plants I bought because of the PO.

In the spring - there may be lots of stuff to exchange - but quite a few of us are in "holding" patterns right now.

Where does your sister live?

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My sister lives about 12 miles from me. She's an avid gardener. We learn and share a great deal from one another. I started some dat seeds in hopes of her taking some young plants to Hong Kong (China) mid Mar. The country allows bringing in plants. I have two methods for starting seeds. One is on coffee filters, folded, and placed in ziploc bags. The other is on coffee filters placed on moistened soil, which I spritz. Sometimes I dilute peroxide in the spray bottle to fend off mold. Are there any other suggestions?

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

Sharon

I'm going to welcome you with some photos- not white brugs, tho!

{{gwi:449543}}
    Seedling

{{gwi:449544}}
    Charles Grimaldi

{{gwi:449546}}
    N. H. Double Peach

{{gwi:449548}}
    Deep pink seedling

We are all missing our babies really ba-aaa-a---a-addd, right about now!

Plenty to share, come summer!

Brenda B

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohhhhhhh, Brenda...........What a breath of fresh, warm air. I would be thrilled to have an opportunity to have double peach brugs this summer. They are beautiful and not something I've seen in our part of the world. Be proud!

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Welcome to the board Sharon! And yes - I'm known as the 'enabler' when it comes to brugs. :) Brenda does have some beautiful brugs - doesn't she?

Mike

• lovelyiris
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon, Welcome to OUR WORLD, want you come on in? LOL.. Miracles they say happen everyday in the brug and dat world. I'm going to be open and perfectly honest with you from the start....you better watch all of these folks are they will have your home, your boat, the cabin, the car, and anything else you have full of Brugs. LOL They don't mind you using your bed to grow brugs in too. They will tell you...you can sleep on the floor to make more room for your brugs.

Mike admits to being and enabler, and boy is that the truth. The problem is that most of these wonderful folks here are ALL ENABLERS when it comes to Brugs and Dats. Then if you really get some of them started they have other plants and seeds they will share with too.

Now you have been warned...Have fun but proceed with CAUTION.

Once Again, Welcome to our World!
    Marian

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Marian is right.

There isn't any 12 step recovery program here.

Soooooooooo. . .ah. . .you've only got THREE?!?!? How many more are you going to get? (grin)

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcoming. I'm lovin' the "cautions". I know I would very much appreciate receiving cuttings when the weather warms up. Again, this A.M. in N. Mn., the temp is -3. Jan. isn't the best time to do actual transfer of plants via mail. But, that said, I'm looking forward to offers from those willing and enabling to share. Unfortunately, I don't have anything I am in a position to share except some dat seeds, which seem to be a surplus item? I am very fond of the doubles. And, my sister, who lives 12 miles from me, has gotten the brug and dat fever. How could we not truly fall in love with such beautiful plants?

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Sharon

The following line is going to get you into trouble:

"I'm looking forward to offers from those willing and enabling to share."

If I know the rest of the board like I think I do - you'll have so many brugs you won't have room for them! Better start buying pots, potting mix, and all other necessities now - to be ready when the time comes! :)

Mike

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm fairly well stocked with pots. I added potting mix to my shopping list. The challenge is waiting until shipping season. There's a home in a neighboring community that has brugs in her front yard every summer. They're a show stopper. I know my sister would dearly love receiving some offers of kindness as well. I'll share with her.

• gottahosta
    16 years ago

Sharon

I have 2 extra N. H. Double Peach, maybe three, I will have to get organized and check- I will put your name on one!

These are fertilizer hogs- plant in straight composted cow poo- lighten with some fine pine bark, in at least a 10 gallon pot, this one gets about 7' tall!

Brenda

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello, Brenda:

I will most appreciatively take you up on that generous offer. I'll be doing some researching into obtaining some fresh-off-the farm cow dung. I think this will be a field trip I'll be doing alone as DH has an extremely weak stomach. Oh the things we do for our brugs!

• chena
    16 years ago

Sharon.. Trust me on this.. Get those dried up cow chips and just screen'em down...

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I marked it down on my April calendar of things to do as our N.Mn. country is covered with 3' of snow and this morning's thermometer is ... -14 F. That doesn't factor in the windchill, perhaps -30. I'm sure many of you cannot perceive living in this climate. Somebody has to live here. Either our brains are frozen or we don't have the common sense given to a bird. I'm not goin' there.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I admire you Sharon. I would have to fly south for the winter like the birds, lol. I am sitting here at work with this little portable heater by my feet and freezing. I don't know how the guys are working outside. My plants in front of the door have icicles on them.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

It's -6 here right now. . . .not windchill.

Windchills of -25 last nite.

Oh man - comonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn SPRING TIME!

• rigo74
    16 years ago

dweeb - You be safe and stay warm.

I like the cold weather, but that's just too cold for my blood.

Partly cloud here in my neck of the wood's, sun is trying to peek out right now.
    Temp here is 29.

• gramsharon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It would seem our subzero snap is coming to an end as of Fri., Jan. 25 in N. Mn. We're due to temps in the 20's-30's and that's above zero. But, February is our coldest month. And to think when we greet spring, mosquitos and wood ticks come to life after such long, subzero weather. Mother Nature has her ways.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I don't know how they can survive your temps, lol. We are going to be cold tomorrow again but up to 70 by Monday thank goodness. I can't wait!

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

70!

Ohhh mannnnnnnnnn. . . .70 degrees. That would probably feel like Hawaii to me right now. 70. . . .

It's -7 here right now. My knuckles are cracked and chapped.

We've got a heat wave coming. Break out the sunscreen everyone - it's going to be a blistering 37 on Sunday and 40 on Monday.