SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frank27603

Great new bulb that needs a little help...

frank27603
15 years ago

So, I went by a local garden center today to check out the amaryllis bulbs. I already have a ton, so I am really trying to only obtain ones that I really think I need to add to my collection. I like to see results pretty fast, so luckily for me they have a bin designated for amaryllis that are already pushing up scapes at a discount. How much better does it get?ÂI would pay more to get a bulb that is ready to go and they discount it for me! I located the discount bin and was surprised to see these gigantic bulbs putting up scapes. I was so mesmerized by this one Lemon Star that had 2 scapes of equal length and a pretty good sized baby attached to it for 25% off the $21.99 price tag. The bulb was huge and all I could think of was all the blooms when it flowered. It was on sale and I bought it. All the way home I was feeling so great about my new bulb! Then reality set inÂI did a quick squeeze test before purchasing and everything felt fineÂI must not have squeezed in the right place. I pulled back some of the dead and black Âskin I guess and uh oh! The bulb has rot on it in 2 different placesÂit is small and only on the surface and seems like it came from the bulbs being close together maybe? I tried to scrape it off down to the healthy as best as possible. Please see photos below.

What I am wondering is if I should detach the baby one now since it is not affected? Also, should I treat the bulb with something and then plant it or just leave it out of the dirt and let it flower like it is? Any help would be much appreciated!

{{gwi:432468}}

{{gwi:432469}}

{{gwi:432470}}

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions