SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bettylu_zone6a

Newbie to WS - I am excited to try it out, but have ?'s

14 years ago

Hello all!

I am going to try winter sowing this year and after reading all the wonderful posts, I believe I have a handle on how to set it up - but....

What seeds would you recommend I start with for a yard that is hemmed in by the house on the east side and tall fir trees on the west side? The sun that the 15x8 bed receives is the middle of the day (approximately 11:30 till 3:00) and in St. Louis, that can be pretty hot and humid! I am hoping that with WS plants, I can still have a lush full look in this bed even though there are maple and Frasier Fir roots that re-invade the bed every time I clear a spot to plant something.

If you think they won't flop over, I can handle tall stuff because you can view the beds from above looking out of the house and the deck. The bed is currently mostly perennials, but I'd really like to add color, especially if I can grow it myself and save the cost of nursery plants. Having extras to sell at our garden club sale in the spring would be a bonus, too.

Thanks in advance, and if you have seeds to exchange - the only seeds I currently will have are perennials: White Columbine (Aquilegia-I don't know the variety), Culver's Root (Veronicastrum virginicum), Purple Rocket (Iodanthus pinnatifidus), Orange Butterfly Weed (Asclepias tuberosa), and Black Eyed Susan (I think R. fulgida var sullivantii).

It will be hard to wait till winter!

BettyLu

Comments (7)

Sponsored