SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northforker

Notes to self for next year...

northforker
15 years ago

Finishing up my second season as a winter sower and I feel like I have learned so much. From all of you here but also from my gardens - what works, what really doesn't, why it's worth experimenting. I am keeping some notes for myself to reflect on this winter and next spring as I get it all started again and I bet some of you are doing the same thing. May we could have a thread here where we share some of our "Notes"?

Here are a few of mine:

SMALL CAN BE VERY PRETTY: after years of being attracted to only large or very robust flowering plants (Joe Pye, Rudbeckia, coneflowers,landscape hibiscus) this year I grew some shorter/smaller/finer things I have found I love. Dianthus, Nigella, Calendula, Blue Flax, Gilia, Linaria, Lobelia, Portulaca, Lavetera. Plus, you really do need something for the front of the beds and planters!

LARGER GROUPINGS ARE BETTER: Especially of the smaller plants. I am going to aim for at least 2' x 2' min. "blocks" of one variety next year, even though it will mean fewer varietes in each bed.

PULL UNWANTED VOLUNTEERS EARLY: I say this every year but somehow can't bare to do it in the spring. But NEXT year I WILL remember wrestling with all that purple Malva and rampant Cleome and yank most of them early.

I HAVE MORE SHADE THAN I THINK I HAVE/PLAN FOR: Discovered that impatiens comes in other varieties than just the usual stuff in flats. Fell in love with Balsam and especially Balfouri. Next year, more of these and more Nicotiana for shade too.

GO FOR THE FOLIAGE. AMARANTHS OF ALL KINDS ARE GREAT.

LET SOME SUNFLOWERS GO TO SEED AND THEN JUST MOVE THE VOLUNTEERS WHERE YOU WANT THEM: And I love that the volunteers are all different. Brown centers and yellow centers and different variations of yellow petals(pale, bright, almost white). Facinating to me that these could all come from the same parent plant. Just like children in a family looking different.

What do you want to remember next year???

Nancy

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery