SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomas_gw

Cold and sunlight

tomas
16 years ago

I have noticed that some of my bromeliads exposed to the morning sun get severely damaged during our cold winters and those of the same species that are shaded (but no overhead protection) will take it better. Today I came accross an old GW thread that explains it quite clearly. As I think it could be useful for others, I rewrite it here (the thread is of 2003 and has since been deleted). The author is JoeReal and he seems to understand his matter very well, the explanation only involves the basic mechanisms of the photosynthesis:

"When photosyntheticaly active light strikes the chloroplasts, it absorbs energy by exciting the electrons, these excited electrons in turn are passed on downhill through the complete photosynthetic pathway used to generate sugars and oxygen. Now for some tropical plants , the rest of the photosynthetic pathway is simply closed down or not fast enough because of low metabolic activities caused by low temperature, even if above freezing. Their specific metabolism are not best suited at low temperatures. Thus instead of the energy in the electrons being utilized to fuel the photosynthetic factory, the electrons instead create free radicals which are highly reactive and cause damages to the plant tissues. Simply put, it is short circuited because the receiver is fast asleep to pass on the burning torch and use it as fuel down the assembly.

Bring a cold-sensitive plant into the sunlight in the early winter cold morning of California. Bring also another cold sensitive plant outside but in the shaded area. The one exposed to full sunlight will surely have extensive damage such as leaf burns...."

The conclusion? It may be usefull to protect the plants from morning sun as long as it doesn't get warm enough. If it is not possible to move them, this may be achieved covering them with something that will provide shade or putting some screen between the sun and the plants.

I hope this was not too boring

Tomas

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions