SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stage_rat

help! cpr needed for hydrangea, clematis, and penstemon (ot)

stage_rat
16 years ago

In my town thereÂs a house with a really cute front garden, taking up the entire tiny front yard. The house had been up for sale, and now the new owners have moved in. They put up a new trellis archway, but they tore out the climbing hydrangea and clematis completely! I grabbed their yard waste bags today. The hydrangea is all chopped to pieces, and I even have what I think is a large part of its main trunk with a little root system. Many of the branches have tiny roots growing out of them. I donÂt know if the climbing hydrangea always does this, or if this occurred in the 4 days in a yard-waste bag.

Does anyone have advice on how to help some of these pieces to survive? Some I put deep into water, and some I put into wet dirt. With some, I removed a lot of the wilted leaves. (I didnÂt have time today to do it to all) Which works better, water or moist dirt?

The clematis is just a sad ball of vine, and I plunked it into water for the night. I recently read some instructions on taking clematis cuttings, but does anyone think I have a good chance of success with something cut down so long ago?

Lastly, there was a lot of penstemon in the bags, too. I cut the stalks to about 5 inches long and put all the rooted bits into wet soil. Does anyone think pure water would be better? Also, I saved the seed heads, which are still purple, not dry and brown. Is there any reason to believe the seeds will be properly formed?

Thanks for any advice on any of the above topics. I hope they all make it, somehow!

Comments (5)

Sponsored