SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spartangardener

Conflicted about ripping out perennial beds

spartangardener
13 years ago

Years of wintersowing and hitting the end of the season perennial sales have been good to me and I have quite large perennial gardens that bloom pretty much all of the blooming season here. Due to busy work and homelife situations the last couple of years though, I've been overrun by the aggressive perennials in the mix. So I've been spending the last couple of weeks clearing out the thugs, making room for more well-behaved stuff that will give me greater variety.

I feel conflicted though because I still like what I'm ripping out, and stuff is either blooming now or about to bloom. I know if I leave it though, it won't come out before it starts to set seed and I'll be in the same boat next year that I am this year. I'm trying to push myself to ruthlessly get rid of all of it because the last couple of years I thought "oh, i can just leave a couple - aren't they lovely!" and that didn't work out so well. :-)

So, goodbye to....

agastache blue fortune and alba version - sorry bees, you'll have to make do with all the other flowers in the garden

rudbeckia triloba - blooms its heart out in september, but spreads like wildfire

lemon balm - i love the smell, but it's mint

a good chunk of the oregano - also trying to take over the world

feverfew - very pretty with the bleeding heart, but far too much

some of the rose campion - also trying to take over the world

the variegated hostas that i inherited with the house - i finally have enough plants to replace you

ferns - see hostas

heliopsis - i love you, but those gross red bugs are on you every year and i've had enough

purple monarda - same deal with mildew

goofy coreopsis - you're not pretty enough to be in my garden

magenta phlox seedlings - beautiful, but far too many of you. far too monochromatic.

white whild asters - thanks for showing up, but you're in the wrong place

queen anne's lace - ditto

kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate - you're losing your home to new perennials, sorry. also, the japanese beetles like you too well.....

hollyhocks - you were amazing, but the rust, not so much.

I feel a bit like an ingrate, but I'm slowly adopting my new motto this year that "if I don't love it, it doesn't belong at my house". It worked for cleaning closets in January, it should work well for my gardens too, right?

Comments (18)

Sponsored