SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_wy

Why did my bees die?

Patty_Wy
13 years ago

I am a new beekeeper, very new. I received two packages of bees three days before my hives arrived. While I waited for my hives I kept the bees fed and comfortable. I put both packages in their hives last Friday night and both queens were alive and well. Mistake one was that I put the jar feeder with the sugar water in the holder in front of each hive. The next 36 hours I let them be. During that time the weather became nasty with both snow and rain and lots of wind. When I went out to check on the bees Sunday after noon very few of them were moving. I spoke to a local beekeeper who had got my packages for me and he said to spray them with sugar water which I did. I also set a sugar water container on top of the hives so the bees could get to it. There were lots of dead bees on the bottom of both hives so the local beekeeper suggested I put the two hives together. I also introduced a new queen since I wasn't seeing an evidence of a queen in the hives. Some of the bees 'woke' up but most did not. I kept checking on the bees but there was no evidence of any work by the bees in the hive. My hive is brand new with plastic for the bees to build upon. I concluded yesterday that my hives were a bust. I couldn't find a queen, no work was being done in the hive and almost all of the bees were dead. I'm trying to figure out what happened. The new hives smelled awful when they arrived, perhaps from treating the wood, could that have killed them? The 36 hours before I put their sugar water on top of the hive? The sugar itself? I was really excited about keeping bees so losing all my bees has me really bummed out. Any ideas of what went wrong?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz