SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheeplechase

Horror stories: Help or Hype?

sheeplechase
17 years ago

I am considering planting bamboo in my sheep pasture to screen the boundary from a neighbor who just cut down all the trees in his yard. I need something fast growing and tall, for a 150-foot length of fenceline. I thought bamboo would be ideal, and since we mow the pasture with a tractor and PTO-driven rotary mower, I didn't think invasiveness would be a concern.

However, the only replies I got back on my local forum were "plant cedar trees" and "no neighbor is worse than bamboo"!

What's the real scoop? Surely so many people wouldn't be planting bamboo if it were really an escapee from a B horror movie? Or have they all been bamboozled? (Sorry...)

Someone about 5 miles up the road from me has a stand of bamboo, I think it might be Phyllostachus aurea. From what I can see, they just hack the outer edges down with a machete once a year. It appears to be a long established planting, and it makes a dense privacy screen along the roadside, yet the rest of their yard is beautifully landscaped in other plants, with no signs of renegade bamboo. Is this simply misleading evidence, and am I crazy to consider planting the stuff myself?

Confused in VA

Comments (7)

Sponsored