SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

GW Horror Stories of Neighbors, Hoarding, and Squalor

violetwest
9 years ago

(warning--very personal and pointless)

I've been reading old threads on GW about neighbor problems (extremely common and contentious), and that led me to hoarder stories (lots of neighbors who are hoarders) and that led me to . . . "squalor." I am a squalor survivor, I now realize.

The stories told here are but a small glimpse into the lives of neighbors who are inconsiderate jerks, and who present almost insoluble problems with boundaries, noise, close quarters, parking, etc.etc.. The hoarding stories are heartbreaking. It all makes for very interesting reading.

All fascinating, especially in the "thank goodness it's not me" sense! Except, when confronted with the squalor survivor website linked through these stories (I can't tell if it's been updated in the past few years -- hope the page owner hasn't succumbed), I do realize that's what happened to me.

30 years ago, I almost had my children taken away from me, because of neglect and squalor. I was very young, very alone, severely depressed, and overwhelmed. To the point where I couldn't see the floor, and couldn't bear to let service people in to fix the plumbing, so we had no water or functioning toilets . . . you get the picture. Painful for me to admit. And fortunately, my children came out okay and still love me!

However, I did get better! I'm never going to be a neatnik, probably because I was never really taught or expected to clean (we had maids), but I'm so much better now than I ever was. Beating depression helped immensely. Buying my own home late in life has helped further -- it's been a blessing, and I have pride now in my home.

And fortunately, I don't have hoarding tendencies, having no compunction about getting rid of useless stuff. Except books. Can't let go of the books!

I can only hope that I never slide down that slope again. . . . and that I never have neighbor problems! I am so very grateful that things have worked out well for me.

Thanks for "listening."

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Violet.West on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 20:08

Comments (29)