SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberhasli1

Problems with our bees

oberhasli1
14 years ago

We live at a high elevation (7800ft) on ten acres of land. Our bee hive is in the front of our yard and it has been established for 9 years or so. We don't usually get any wild flowers blooming until May, so it is a hard place for our bees to forage. It has been warm for the past couple of days and our bees have been out and about. I put out sugar water for them knowing there is nothing available for them to forgage. Our barn is in the back part of our property and the bees have been going in the barn and swarming all over our guinea's food (pelleted stuff that looks like bran cereal). They are also gathering up in the sky lights in the barn and then they won't come down. It still gets in the low 30's at night here. Most of them die up in the sky lights because it gets too cold at night. I have never had this problem with them going in the barn. They have also been flying in the bird feeders. We have water available around the farm for them and they have eaten some of the sugar water I put out for them.

Does anyone have a clue as to why they are congregating in my barn? We had a good year last year with it being green and lush here all summer. I'm sure their population multiplied with the good summer we had last year. Usually it is not that nice. It sometimes borders on drought conditions.

I can't close the barn to keep them out, but I hate to see them dying up in the sky lights or swarming the food. Any thoughts? I usually hang out on the farm life forum, but lurk on this one :-).

Thanks,

Bonnie

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH