SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
retiredprof

Some Early Disappointments & Raves

retiredprof
14 years ago

Some of the perennials I purchased this spring are starting to bloom, along with the WS's annuals. Overall, I'm a happy WS'er and gardener, but there are a few things in my yard I'm less-than-thrilled with:

- Salvia Black and Blue. Take it or leave it. I was so looking forward to this one, but it hasn't knocked my socks off at all.

- Salvia Snow Hill--ditto

- Monarda Petite Delight. Nice, but covered with mildew.

- Dianthus Coconut Surprise. Bloomed beautifully, then promptly turned brown and died to the ground.

- None of my annual poppies made it after transplant.

On the other hand, someone sent me some magenta catchfly that is outstanding. Love the Cosmos Psyche White and Gazebo. Basically happy with all the annuals.

As for veggies, would someone please remind me never to plant cabbage or broccoli again? This was year 2 and results were disappointing again--not worth the effort. The toms are doing great as are the eggplants (anybody want about 20 a week?). Still coming along: cucs, midget melons, and bush beans.

I read about your disappointment with the red spiders. So, I'll add some of these to the list. Anybody else? What's wowing you and what's not?

Prof

Comments (19)

Sponsored