SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deserthills_gw

newbie here so tons of questions =D

DesertHills
18 years ago

Hello all! I've been lurking here for a week now and I've learned a lot. Anyway, here's a list of my questions to all you AZ gardeners. There's no such thing as TMI, I need all the help I can get. Please take your time to answer a question or two. Fall is getting near so I'm trying to prepare. =)

1) Where can you find cheap or free scrap woods (like pallets) to use for raised bed border and also to build a compost bin? Can the pallets fit at the back of a honda civic? Also, What do you use to fill up your raise beds?

2) Vermicomposting: how do you care for the worms during the hot summer season? I have a rubbermaid bin that has to sit outside because DH "says so".

3) Any suggestion for hauling and collecting horse manure? I have a neighbor (100 ft away) with a horse and I'd like to ask him for some. Is is better to get fresh or dry? Is garbage bags ok to use to collect them? The source is quite near and I don't have a truck so I imagine I will be using only a wheelborrow. Are they heavy? I don't think DH will help me in this area, so I'm on my own.

4) When planting shrubs and trees, how far away from the house foundation should they be?

5) Any suggestion on transplanting native shrubs? I need to clear a small area, but I like the hrubs growing there and I hope I can move them to the front yard.

6) How much does it usually cost to hire an arborist to trim Palo Verdes of dead branches?

7) Has anyone here tried to recycle the plastic chicken rottisserie containers (with the clear top and black bottom) to use as mini greenhouses to start seeds? Do I need to punch drain holes under them?

8) Where can you get coir and how much do they cost?

Whew, I'm glad I'm finally able to post these questions! Happy Gardening ...

TIA,

Esmé

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor