SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

what evergreen shrub to plant under Loblolly trees

katrina1
16 years ago

My Dh an I spent the afternoon cutting down 4 of my Loblollies which where left only 5 feet tall after their main leader trunks broke off during our recent 4 days straight freezing rain disaster.

These trees had been planted in two staggered lines for screening purposes, while along the property fencing behind; a pecan, some oaks, and some Foster holly trees need time to grow large enough to provide better screening.

What I am left with now, are two groups of three Loblollies, that now have a nine foot space between them, and on the other side there is now 20 feet between one of the groups of three before two others are now growing.

These loblollies all look better now that they seen to be growing in drifts. Only problem is that I still need screening in the 9 feet, and 20 feet spacing which opened up once DH and I removed the damaged trees today.

What evergreen understory trees or shrubs would be good to plant in these spaces. and also under the canopies of these remaining trees once we begin to prune up the lower branches on the, now, almost 15 feet tall loblolly trees?

These understory trees and shrubs would receive some morning sun, and full afternoon till dusk sun. Eventually once the remaining Loblolly trees' canopies have time to to expand, those understory items would receive only some mid-day dappled shade.

Comments (8)