SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azprep

Cucumber and radish seedling problems

AZprep
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'll keep this short. All I have, to grow food on, is a patio so I have to grow in containers. This is my second attempt at growing radishes and cucumbers on the patio. I bought a 5 gal bucket, for the cucumbers, and a long shallow pot for the radishes. I put holes in the bottoms of both and put a layer of stone at the bottom of each as well. For soil I only used some Miracle Gro organic potting mix and also mixed some smaller, pebble like, stones in to promote drainage. I sowed 2 cucumber seeds into the 5 gal bucket and 8 radish seeds into the other pot.

9 days after I sowed the cucumber seeds the seedlings stopped growing before the first true leaves even came out. Now 11 days in one of them is falling over and the leaves on both seem to be wilting. I've been giving them plenty of water and keeping them in the shade for the most part.

As for the radishes only 6 seeds sprouted and they seem to be doing the same thing. The growth has stopped and the leaves on some appear to have been sunburnt off, despite my efforts to keep them out of the sun.

This has been very frustrating especially since my roommate has used the same methods with rattlesnake beans and his are exploding. They're probably about a foot high now. The only difference is that he's been keeping his in direct sunlight the entire time.

So clearly I need some help. Does anyone have any suggestions? I included pictures of the potting mix and plants below. Thank you!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville