SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snasxs

Where are the fruit-trees originally from?

snasxs
16 years ago

Sometimes, I wonder how the spreading of foreign trees has shaped our daily lives. The fruits we grow up eating are actually originated from many foreign places.

I love papaya fruit. I thought they are all from Thailand until l learned they are actually from the Incas.

Anyways, I wonder the origins of these crops:

Apple,

Orange,

Grapefruit,

Pear,

Peach,

Plum,

Banana,

Star-fruit,

Grape,

Strawberry,

Coconut,

Watermelon,

Pineapple,

etc.

Thanks for your answers ahead of time.

Comments (48)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I read an article recently about a lot of them being from Afghanistan. Because so much of the natural area has been destroyed, crops are gone too. The article was about taking stock from fruit (and nut) trees in California and taking them back to Afghanistan to start groves again. They said the original stock had come from there.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I seriously doubt it because Afghanistan is a cold desert environment. It simply is not possible for many in my list. I think your article may be talking about helping war-torn farmers to abandon opium growing.

• Related Discussions

Planting a new fruit tree where a diseased tree has died?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks all! We're in the SF Bay Area (Oakland, so not in the fog belt---pretty mild/moderate). We do have very heavy clay soil and have been amending it where we've planted new trees to try to mitigate drainage issues after losing two avocado seedlings to root rot. As far as the second cherry, if this is bacterial canker, is it likely to spread to other fruit trees? We have aging apples, persimmons, and figs (one fig is ill with something too, but our local nursery noted that it may just be at the end of its life). We also have younger plums, avocado, and citrus. All are in close proximity (entire yard is maybe 1200 square feet?). It's obviously a little late for dormant spraying in our area, but is there anything I should be using in the spring/summer season to prevent the spread of the canker, if it can spread to other nearby trees? It does seem to have been eating away at the cherries for some years now, as the previous owner had taken off large chunks of both trees. Also, we would like to replace the cherry (though maybe in another part of the yard, it sounds like!) I've seen cherries on both Gisela5 and Mazzard rootstock. (Am guessing the current trees are on Mazzard or something similar as they're huge.) Is one more resilient than the other, or should I just choose based on size/fruiting? Thanks!
    ...See More

Dwarf Fruit Tree -vs- Pruning Standard Fruit Tree?

Q

Comments (18)
    Fruitnut, I have 2 methods and I'm sharing my trade secrets here (what the hell- I'm 6 months from 60 and hope to retire in 25 years anyway). I start some plants straight in the ground, planting them way too close in a fenced off area. Planting them close makes maintenance per plant much less expensive given that it's all done by hand (don't ask). For apples in my climate it takes about 3 years to size them up to about 1.5" diameter- at least when planted this close. I carefully dig up these BR and put them in short 20 gallon pots (wide and shallow) in a mix of 1 part peat, 1 composted wood chips or stable waste ( almost pure humus with some carbo lumps) and 1 sand, plus a little wood ash. They limp the first season but I sell them the next for around $180 per. At this point they are bearing, 12' tall and well branched and the foliage is back to mormal. Other trees I transfer to Carl Whitcomb grow bags in real soil and let them grow about another 3 years and sell them for $250 per, or less to contractors. The grow bags I use are his last edition because they allow more root out of the bag and I can grow them without any irrigation at all- even through drought. Irrigation would reduce production by about a year, I'm sure, but in my operation only my potted plants get any and they are set in the soil as well. I always take some trees in the grow bags, remove the bags and put them into 25 Gallon pots with the soil intact but surrounded by my potting mix which allows me to sell some larger trees during the growing season. Surprisingly the soil surrounded by potting mix works very well and you might want to try that method for your trees as the soil gives you much more bang per square inch and costs less. Repotting would require only replacing the artificial soil on the edge of the soil ball. It makes things real heavy though, and my soil is not too fine so I don't know how it would work with a more clay soil but I bet it would work just fine. I'm sure my prices seem outrageous by your regional standards but I'm less than an hour from NYC and here it's more than competitive- it's the best deal around- because I have scores of varieties and they're actually properly shaped for fruit production. They also plug in better than the competitions BB'd trees, especially the ones I have in pots.
    ...See More

Has anyone ever stole fruit from your fruit tree?

Q

Comments (23)
    I see my neighbor stealing some of the raspberries between the houses (kind of a shared spot). Not a big deal, as I steal some beans on my side of the fence, and she also gives me some food as well. I have gotten her addicted to blackberries! I do grow more plants then just fruit - like castor beans, and I had to chase down some teens who a bunch. I managed to track them down - they thought it was weed, and man would they have gotten a shock when they smoked it....... I had to tell them what it was. OF course they didnt believe me. I had to use one of their phones to show them the differences. Ive had cops stop and ask what it was as well.
    ...See More

How Much Fruit Do You Get From Your Fruit Trees In Containers?

Q

Comments (26)
    While citrus is young count the leave and divide it on 20. that is how many fruits you may leave on them to bear. On adult trees 10 leave is enough for photosintesing for one fruit. The better plant is doing with foliage - more fruits you will collect. So pay attention on a mineral fertilising of your trees and they will pay you back with the fruits!! That lemon of mine lost all leave in december and fruits never turn yellow - I had to collect them in april, so it could grow new leaves. This Meyer got 7 lemons This wild citrus is 5 years old, does not grow at all, but give me 2 fruits every year!! And it is very rare that you will collect more fruits than volume of your pot every year
    ...See More
  • Iris GW
    16 years ago

It seems that pistachio and walnuts are native to the area, but those are not fruits. While they apparently also grew a lot of grapes, figs, almonds and maybe apricots, perhaps they were cultivated there and not native.

And yes, the article of course did talk about the efforts that were aimed at converting farmers to such historical crops instead of opium.

Not sure how reliable this source (http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5380.htm) is, but it does say that The main source of income in the country is agriculture, and during its good years, Afghanistan produces enough food and food products to provide for the people, as well as to create a surplus for export. The major food crops produced are: corn, rice, barley, wheat, vegetables, fruits, and nuts.

Hope you get some better answers than mine. :)

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Apple - central Asia (southeast Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, etc)
    Orange - southern China
    Grapefruit - southeast Asia
    Pear - southeast Europe to central Asia
    Peach - northern China
    Plum - Europe
    Banana - tropical southeast Asia
    Star-fruit - tropical southeast Asia
    Grape - southern Europe, Caucasus
    Strawberry - northern Europe, and related species in southern South America (most commercial strawberry cultivars are hybrids between the two)
    Coconut - tropical Pacific & Indian Ocean islands
    Watermelon - southern Africa
    Pineapple - northern South America

Some others:
    Apricot - northern China
    Cherry - Europe, related species elsewhere in temperate northern hemisphere
    Durian - tropical southeast Asia
    Gooseberry - Europe, related species elsewhere in temperate northern hemisphere
    Hazel - Europe, related species elsewhere in temperate northern hemisphere
    Loquat - southern China, southern Japan
    Mango - India
    Raspberry - northern Europe, related species elsewhere in cool temperate northern hemisphere (most modern cultivars are a hybrid between the N European species and an N American species)
    Redcurrant & Blackcurrant - Europe
    Capsicum - South America
    Tomato - South America
    Walnut - central Asia

Barley - southwest Asia
    Maize (US "corn") - Mexico
    Millet - Africa
    Oats - Europe
    Rice - eastern Asia
    Wheat - southwest Asia

Resin

• lucy
    16 years ago

Resin - Thank you! Now the interesting question might be whether one should treat them exactly as you would in their native environment (global warming ignored for the moment), or figure that they might have 'adapted' and/or changed in some way to live in the new one and should be treated differently?

• sam_md
    16 years ago

"Where are fruit trees originally from?" That is such a vague query, why don't you pin it down a little better?
    I'm sure that you know grapes are not trees. We have no less than 21 species of Vitis native to Eastern N. America. V. labrusca is not only commercially important in its own right, but it lends disease and nematode resistance to the resulting plant when used as an understock. In my area we have several native cherries and plums but the plums are mostly shrubby.
    Add two more to your list: Diospyros virginiana or Common Persimmon and Asimina triloba or Pawpaw.
    Sam

• Fledgeling_
    16 years ago

Resin, the modern strawberry is a hybrid between two American species.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sam,

The most widely cultivated persimmon species is the Japanese Kaki Persimmon or Kaki, called "shizi" in Chinese. These are sweet, slightly tart fruits with a soft to occasionally fibrous texture.

American persimmon is usually called Indiana Jones' Banana ;-)

• cacau
    16 years ago

I also love papaya, and it's sometimes even possible to find a decent one in the stores here. Anyway, I've read that the tree is native to the Neotropics from southern Mexico to northern South America, which would put it more in the former realms of the Maya, the Aztec and other Central American groups. Papaya apparently spread far enough southward to be cultivated in the oases of the Moche civilization of coastal Peru. I think the original home region of the Incas, high in the Andes, would have been too cold for papaya. Probably only in their brief final period of imperial expansion, the hundred years before Pizarro arrived, would they have conquered lands where papaya could be grown.

North America certainly does come off as poor in native fruits & nuts, though. The imbalance is even more pronounced if we consider the variety of tropical fruits that aren't often available in N. America or Europe, like jujube, jackfruit, cashew (nut and apple), guava, litchee, sapodilla, umbu, cherimoya, acerola, ai, cupuaçu, passion fruit, jaboticaba, etc. At least we contributed the hickories, including pecan.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cacau, yes, you are right. I hope I could try all these tropical fruits before I die. But I couldn't believe you did not mention mangosteen - my favorite "white orange".

• kman04
    16 years ago

Just a few additions to what pineresin wrote.

Pear - southeast Europe to central Asia Asian Pears originated in Manchuria and the Korean Peninsula
    Plum - Europe Asian Plums originated in Central Asia and several North American species are cultivated for their fruit also, but not as much as the Asian and European species.
    Banana - tropical southeast Asia Although it's found across the tropics world wide and has been since recorded human history began in these areas, the SE Asia is the best guess of where it originated.
    Grape - southern Europe, Caucasus Several North American species are cultivated for their fruit and have been used in popular hybrids with European grapes. Most all cultivated grapes are grafted onto North American species root stocks.
    Strawberry - northern Europe, and related species in southern South America (most commercial strawberry cultivars are hybrids between the two)Most all cultivated Strawberries worldwide are hybrids of 2 native North American species(1 Eastern US and 1 Pacific NW US), or cultivars of North American species
    Coconut - tropical Pacific & Indian Ocean islands Pant tropical, just like the banana, so the South Pacific and/or tropical Indian Ocean is the best guess right now as to it's origins

Some others:
    Cherry - Europe, related species elsewhere in temperate northern hemisphereThe North American native Black Cherry is a very important food species, used in everything from soda drinks to candy to desserts especially as a flavoring, but usually never eaten raw like the 2 European species
    Gooseberry - Europe, related species elsewhere in temperate northern hemisphere The "European species are mostly native to the Caucasus Mountains and North Africa. Also, 1 American species(Ribes hirtellum) is also commonly cultivated and used in hybrids with the "European" species.
    Hazel - Europe, related species elsewhere in temperate northern hemisphere There are a couple of Asian species important in cultivation also. A couple of North American species are also collected and cultivated for food, but not nearly as common as the Asian and European species and hybrids.
    Raspberry - northern Europe, related species elsewhere in cool temperate northern hemisphere (most modern cultivars are a hybrid between the N European species and an N American species) There are countless wild species in the US which are all collected for fruit production and use in desserts and candies. Even a couple of American species are cultivated just like the common American-Euro hybrids.
    Redcurrant & Blackcurrant - Europe Several North American species are used in wine making, and fruit production, including one with the same common name "Black Currant" as one of the European species.
    Walnut - central Asia This would be the Persian Walnut, but the American native Black Walnut is just as important in food uses. It's used in everything from cookies to ice cream to candies, and even eaten raw(less commonly than the Persian Walnut though)

Rice - eastern Asia The oldest evidence of Rice cultivation is in Northern Thailand(about 10,000 years ago) so, it's SE Asia.

Also, some other non-tree and tree fruits from North America are:
    Squash, Pumpkins, Sunflower seeds, Pecans, American Persimmon, Paw Paws, Pond Apples, and Soursop(these last 2 are native to Florida and related to Paw Paws and are DELICIOUS!)

Some other New World fruits(Central America and South America), including many which are now associated with European or Asian cuisine(like tomatoes and Italy, potatoes and Ireland, Peanuts, and Sunflower seeds and China, Chili peppers and SE Asia and India; but all are native to the Americas) are:

Peanuts, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, vanilla, Cacao (the bean chocolate is made from), most beans including green, snap, string, pinto, white, kidney, black, and yellow beans(most dried beans, flava, and field beans are native to North Africa and SW Asia), Cherimoya(another Paw Paw relative), Cashews, Brazil Nuts, Bell Peppers, and ALL chili Peppers(even the ones famous from India, China and SE Asia ALL chili peppers originate from Central and South America and were completely unknown in the old world until Columbus, even the misnamed Capsicum chinensis, which is native to South America and was erroneously named by an Austrian botanist in 1776).

• kman04
    16 years ago

I left out many tropical American fruits, which aren't as widely known as the ones I listed. In case anyone wonders.

• Beeone
    16 years ago

We really have a lot of fruits and nuts native to North America, however many of them have not had a thousand years or more of selective breeding to develop their fruit qualities. Among those native to North America are:
    chokecherries
    buffalo berries
    american hazelnut
    american chestnut
    hickory nuts & black walnuts & others in of that family
    red & black & clove currants
    service berries (saskatoons)
    plums
    blueberries
    huckleberries
    cranberries
    cactus pears
    grapes
    strawberries
    raspberries
    elderberries
    pine nuts
    & a number of other herbaceous fruits and vegetables

There are probably a lot of other regional favorites, too. I wonder how big this list can get?

We are fortunate to live with so many delicious options from here and all over the world.

• bengz6westmd
    16 years ago

Just to plug Black cherry from E North Amer -- the fully ripe cherries are, IMHO, delicious w/good sweetness & the characteristic strong "bitter-almond" flavor. Better tasting straight off the tree than domestic "sour" cherries.

• Dibbit
    16 years ago

Bilberries are native to Scandinavia - and I think there is an equivalent "blueberry" type in Scotland. Cranberries are another NA native, along with blueberries.

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

There are so many edibles native to North America that many people just don't know about. One choice edible that I noticed missing from beeone's list was the Morus rubra or red mulberry. The berries are good fresh and make wonderful pies.

If looking up edibles native to North America, these books may help:

Native Harvests: American Indian Wild Foods and Recipes by E. Barrie Kavasch
    Billy Joe Tatum's Wild Foods Field Guide and Cookbook ed. by Helen Witty
    Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons
    Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and Not So Wild) Places by Steve Brill with Evelyn Dean

Note: these books often and do include naturalized (alien) species as well so these are a starting point. Look up the plant on the plants.usda.gov site to see their "native" status.

FataMorgana

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Kman, thank you for the list. You must love plants to compile such a list around midnight Friday. I hope your family okay your dedication. Are plants part of your job?

To be honest with you, I really crave for tropical fruits. When I think about them, I picture tropical oceans, sunshine and relaxed vacation time. However, when thinking about Native North American fruits, I think about surviving skills, hardship, hunting trips and the recipes of grandma who is known to turn bitter berries into a sweet pie. They remind me of the depression period and economically suppressed North American regions, like the Appalachian Mountains in the old time - absolutely gorgeous.

Given time for human selection, I believe Native American fruits will improve over time. For example, I think blue berry can become sweet egg plant in the future!

• kman04
    16 years ago

Ethnobotany and fruit/vegetable native origins just happens to be one of my interests. It's particularly frustrating when you can't convince people that Tomatoes aren't Italian, much less European, or that Potatoes aren't Irish much less European, or that Chili Peppers aren't East Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, much less Asian, or that Peanuts(and the ever popular Chinese snacks of Pumpkin seeds and Sunflower seeds) aren't Chinese much less Asian, and Chocolate isn't a European invention but Mayan, etc.

It is interesting how these foreign food become so well incorporated and important in other places around the world too.

Also, if anyone is interested in what food native to the Americas is like, just think of traditional Thanksgiving foods, which are mostly all native to the Americas. Like, squash, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, turkey(ok not a fruit or vegetable,but an American native), potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, etc. Also, Tex-Mex, Mexican, and Southwestern cooking is mostly all native foods. So, I'd say the Americas, including North America, have had a rather large impact on human foods around the world.

Hhhmmm...how did this all end up on the tree forum? he he

• noki
    16 years ago

Have the more common Western fruits been selectively bred for centuries/millenia? Are there still "original" wild types left, or do they really know? with domesticated forms mixing back in with wild forms?

I think with vegetables the history is hard to completely decipher back to the wild origins with thousands years of domestication with Maize, Beans, Peppers, Potatoes in the Americas or like with Brassicas in Europe. Try to explain to some people that Broccoli, Cabbage, Collard, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Brussel Sprouts, Kales are all basically the same plant. Asians have been growing for thousands of years, so many cultures over time.

People don't realize that 99% of all modern foods (except for seafood items I guess) have hundreds or a few thousand years of selective breeding by human civilization. The basics of the theories about genetics and selection are well evidenced by what humans consume every day.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Pinus pinea is thought to have been cultivated for something like 6,000 years in the Mediterranean. Some other tree fruit species probably have an even longer history of cultivation.

Resin

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Noki, vegetables are less popular in Europe, Central Asia and North Africa.

While the main stream American culture accepts a large number of fruits, she okays only a very limited number of meat - namely chicken, pork and beef. Now, plus goat, sheep, duck and goose, I wonder where these animals are originally from?

I know Turkey is an all American bird. I also know all pet dogs are originated from a mother-wolf in Southern China.

• cacau
    16 years ago

Yes I did omit mangosteen, mostly because I've never eaten one. Like kman, I only mentioned a few of the tropical fruits...things I've tried, mainly. People, regardless of where they live, usually eat no more than a hundred of the thousands of plants that are potential food. Ask the average person to make a list of 100 distinct plant foods--not so easy! (Counting Brassica oleracea as one only.)

The California Rare Fruit Growers has an interesting site about growing unusual plants in our warmest zones, see link.

Cacau

Here is a link that might be useful: California Rare Fruit Growers

• pinetree30
    16 years ago

If you believe that a species cultivated for several thousand years throughout a wide climatic zone can be reliably and precisely pinpointed to a narrow politically-determined nation, I have a bridge you may like to buy.

• kman04
    16 years ago

pinetree30,

Are you saying there is a specific fruit/nut/vegetable that you don't think anyone knows where in the world it's from or that none of the long cultivated fruits/nuts/vegetables can be narrowed down to an area or region which may or may not completely fall within a modern countries boarders?

There are certainly some that either because of their modern pan-tropical cultivation and seemingly wild occurrence(bananas, coconuts, yams(not sweet potatoes)) or their very ancient lineage (wheat, rice(my mention of Thailand is based on the oldest archaeological evidence discovered to date), Asian Persimmons(Kaki), Apples, etc.) which make their origins still debated and the current "best guess" changes or is refined as new evidence is discovered.

I'd say most of the origins are rather well supported by archaeological evidence, DNA analysis, and human records (including lack of human records in areas where the fruit/nut/vegetable is thought not to of originated).

• pinetree30
    16 years ago

No kman, I am just skeptical of how strong evidence is available for all the species listed on earlier posts. You allude to this in your 2d paragraph. In the case of a species without known selected cultivars, like Pinus pinea, but which is known to have been cultivated for a long time, I think it's largely guesswork as to where its origin was.

• kman04
    16 years ago

Ok, I was just wondering if you had something specific in mind in regards to the posts or it was more broad about all of them.

I'm sure there's plenty of more evidence to be found to try and narrow down some of these, but who knows we might not ever narrow them down more than an area the size of a continent or a large region of a continent.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

With species like Pinus pinea, it should be possible to narrow down the native range and subsequent spread in cultivation more closely from subfossils - the 'nut' shells are very durable. I'd suspect it's already been done, though I don't personally know of any research papers on the topic (if anyone does, I'd be interested to know!).

Resin

• kman04
    16 years ago

For what it's worth, the oldest sufbfossils I've read about of Pinus pinea are 5,000 years old found on the Iberian peninsula(there might be older ones that I just haven't read about). But the only populations of Pinus pinea that shows any kind of real genetic diversity are a couple of populations in Lebanon.

• medamana
    16 years ago

I am joining late with the following additions to this fascinating thread:

Mangosteen - Moluccas
    Jack Fruit - SW India
    Breadfruit - somewhere in Melanesia/Micronesia/Polynesia

Maluccas, of course, is the home of Nutmeg, Cloves, and many other spices.

John

• scotjute Z8
    16 years ago

Didn't see these mentioned (but may have overlooked):
    Pecans - southern USA
    Blackberries - southern USA
    Dewberries - southern USA
    Pinyon Pine nuts - sw USA
    Pine nuts - California Gray pine - California
    Pine nuts - Coulter pine - Calif.
    Choke cherries - north. USA

• sam_md
    16 years ago

How about the original fruit tree in the Garden of Eden? This was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. It produced the Forbidden Fruit. I think that the location was somewhere in ancient Persia.
    Sam

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Blackberries - Europe.
    Dewberries - Europe. Both names in use long before North America was discovered ;-)
    Pinyon Pine nuts - Southwestern Europe; from Spainsh piñon, the seeds of Pinus pinea

Resin

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sam, please differentiate religion from science. There are many magic trees and fruits in Hindu, Buddhism and folklores of all cultures. Fairy tale does not count!

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Blackberries are native to the U.S., there are around 200 Rubus sp. native to the U.S.
    The widespread native Sawtooth Blackberry (Rubus argutus) here makes good jelly and is also good eaten raw in the summer.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

Yeah, 200 Rubus sp. native to the U.S., but none of them were called 'blackberry' by the Native Americans!

Resin

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Sam, many now believe it was in NW Iran (now desert like), the fruit was perhaps pomegranate, but nobody knows for sure. And snasxs it's not a fairy tale like peter pan, it's from scripture. ;-)

Of course they were not called that by the Native Americans.
    And none were called Blackberry thousands of years ago in Europe either, they were named just like every other plant is named! Just because they are separated by water does not make them any different from other Rubus sp., and there is no reason at all Not to call them Blackberry. lol
    All you said was : Blackberries - Europe.
    A type of Blackberry (Rubus sp.) is a type of blackberry (Rubus sp.), so what? ;-)

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

medamana, yeah, I love mangosteen also because the anti-oxidant in it. I would not say that it cures cancer and diabetes. But I hear it does make people look young!

treeguy123, do you believe that dinosaurs and grapes were here to test your faith?

• treeguy123
    16 years ago

Strange sentence my friend but No, Faith and Fairy tales are separate things. Don't get all mad ;-D Carry on...

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now, I bet you look at your daily fruits from a different way. The image is a small fruit shop in Barcelona Spain. Can you name all the fruits in it?

{{gwi:499409}}

• sam_md
    16 years ago

Today I read the ingredients on a package of fruitcake. I recognized everything except citron. I could not picture a citron tree.
    After looking it up I see that citron is Citrus medica. This is a thorny, evergreen tree native to the mid-East. This is an ancient fruit, processed in a salt brine and then candied.
    Sam

• medamana
    16 years ago

Snasnx,

Great picture! My hit-rate is about 50%.

Here's the picture of a tree bearing Jackfruit. This picture was taken in Kerala, India.

{{gwi:499410}}

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

medamana,

Yum, Jack fruit, I love them. They are my "honey tree-pineapples".

• snasxs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sam, citron's main content is the thick white rind which adheres to the segments. Its pulp is small and dry. It is used as orange-peel in fruitcake. I love fruitcake. I don't quite understand why so many people are so negative about them.

• sam_md
    16 years ago

One could argue that no tree has touched our lives more than coffee. It is not so much the fruit of the coffee plant but the seed or bean inside that we are after.
    Make mine Coffea arabica, a shrubby, evergreen tree with fragrant flowers. It cannot tolerate frost. This is an Ethiopian native where it has been grown for 1000 years.
    Sam

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It is believed that, with the notable exception of cherries, the stone fruit species originated in an area that is in modern-day southern China. But apricots have been bred for thousands of years in Persia and Armenia. Before all that breeding, the original Asian apricot was very sour. In fact, they still have it in Asia, and use it to make alcohol and for pickle them as a condiment (in Japan it is called mume). Cherries originated around the area in the North, above the Black Sea extending to the Caspian Sea.

Crabapples have long been native to Europe, but the modern apple resulted from crossing the crabapple with a bigger apple species from the Tien Shan mountains in the far Western part of China. There are still crabapple varieties in Europe that are good for eating.

All the citrus came from Southeastern China, or in the case of Pomelo, from Malaysia (and surrounding parts of Southeast Asia). The Orange is believed to have been originally developed in China from repeated breeding of Pomelo together with Mandarin.

Wild strawberries have long been native to the Northernmost part of Europe, and the Alps, but are very small. The modern day strawberry came about by crossing a bigger strawberry species native to Peru with the smaller European wild strawberry.

Pineapples are native to Central America, when the Spanish explorers first came to Panama they saw pineapples growing wild.

Grapes are thought to have either come from the Caucasus region (there are some lush green pockets of forest and subtropical jungle there) or from Afghanistan. Wild grapes grow wild across the region, but these are not very suitable for eating, so it is unclear where they were originally bred. Grapes were already being grown in Armenia in very ancient times. But in ancient times they did not have seedless grapes, so grapes were almost always made into wine (often with a lower alcohol content than today's wine).

• krnuttle
    8 years ago

I think some of the statements about where fruit have originate are being questioned by the archeological records, and the new DNA analysis. DNA analysis is being used to track "Native" fruit across the world and is being used to track ancient migrations.

I did not see any mention of the American Corn that was breed from the wild grasses of Mexico and Central America.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Early humans moved plants around. This factor accounts for where modern humans think various plants came from. In some cases, the true origin is lost to history. In N. America, pre-European man is now understood to have practiced a great deal more of this moving around of certain species than had perhaps been originally thought. The trail has gotten cold on a lot of these though.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm