SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

Climate Change: A wrinkle you may need to know.

arktrees
13 years ago

At times in the past there have been discussions in this forum of climate changes and drift of USDA hardiness zones. In fact some entities are taking the position that hardiness zones have drifted northward in the last 30 years. I have been very cautious about accepting these new boundaries not because I do not believe the climate is changing (plenty of evidence supports that it is), but more due to climate being very complex with lots of feedback the muddies the water so to speak. So with that back drop in mind, I would like to present you with the following article.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1710

The take home of this, is that due to lose of Artic Sea Ice, the atmospheric circulation pattern is beginning to change, apparently making it increasingly likely that whatever cold air is present, will spill down into eastern North America, and Eastern Asia. This would create locally more severe winter temps in those localities than recent decades, while the globe as a whole gets warmer. I post this for the benefit of those in these areas that are using the newly defined hardiness zones that may be near the edge of a particular plants hardiness.

I am not hear to debate climate change, non-change, or causes. Simply trying to make gardeners aware.

Arktrees

Comments (30)