SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

climate change and crops

11 years ago

A very timely topic is how the warming climate is affecting what crops can be produced in a region vs what has traditionally been produced there.

Some examples that I have experimented with:

Cowpeas in southern new england. Myself and others have found that many varieties will produce well in z7 and 6.5 new england, even though by tradition they are effectively unknown. The yard-long beans, also in the Vigna family, do well. Next year I plan to try cowpeas in a z6. This year even long-season typical southern cultivars have been productive here in z7.

Traditional southern-type dent corn in southern new england. Flint is the tradition in new england, and is still probably the best choice in the colder regions. IME, southern dent out-produces flint by a large degree here in the warmest part of new england, and is probably the best choice for LI and southern NJ as well.

Pigeon pea in north florida. The typical long-season tropical cultivars do not produce in florida north of approximately Orlando (z9b). However there are short-season cultivars that produced very well for me in z9a. I reasonably surmise they would produce in z8b and very probably all of z8a as well, based on how far they get into the flowering stage here in z7 MA. This makes them an outstanding food crop for huge areas of the continental US, for example most of the traditional cowpea regions. In poor soils in the southern part of that range, pigeon pea will out-produce cowpea, and is an excellent crop for reclaiming old pasture because of it's tall woody habit.

I'd like to make this thread a symposium of accounts in this vein, so please jump in if you know of other non-traditional crop experiments.

Comments (27)