SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loctan

Buying Smaller Trees - When Will they ~Equal Their Larger Cousins

loctan
11 years ago

I know the title isn't terribly clear but here is my basic question - heretofore, I have purchased trees 6 to 8 feet high (1.5 to 2.5 inch caliper) for about $60. The more I learn about transplant shock and root-bounding, the more I realize that from a tree health standpoint the smaller the tree the easier the transplant will be. Frankly, you can also buy 12-18 inch trees for $10 so from a cost standpoint it's significantly cheaper as well. My question is size however.

Starting at year 0 a 6-8 foot tree obviously is much much larger than a 12-18 inch tree. By year 50 you would have almost no discernible difference in their size. I would also assume little difference at year 25 or maybe even year 15.

What would one expect at year 3, 5, or 10? The fundamental idea in my mind as that the smaller tree will take to its new environment fairly quickly and begin putting on natural growth probably in year 1 if planted in the fall. Whereas its larger cousin may still be taking to its environment and naturally un-bounding and establishing its roots in year three. So by year five does your 12- 18 inch tree's three years of growth on the 6-8 footer make them pretty equal?

I am speaking of a generic tree here (oak, maple, etc) and want to understand the underlying philosophy. Ideally there is an Excel chart somewhere that reads: Starting_Size
Year_1_Size
Year_3_Size
Year_5_Size
1 ft
3 ft
5 ft
7 ft
10 ft

that enables one to roughly compare the relative size based on age and transplant size. In other words if I can save money and effort by buying a much smaller tree now and have their year 5 size be roughly the same then it's well worth it. If the larger transplants take much better than I am expecting and it takes 10-15 years for their size to be roughly equivalent then maybe the extra price and work to transplant the larger is more cost effective and worth the effort to me.

I hope I am not making this more complicated than it needs to be. I don't think you can look at average growth rates and assume the transplant will continue that at year 1. Transplanting a 10ft tree it may take a few years before that tree kicks back into its natural growth rate...how long for a 2 footer? If it's at almost year 1 well they will be pretty close to the same size in year 3 or 4.

Thanks

This post was edited by loctan on Tue, Dec 25, 12 at 12:16

Comments (10)