SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenweed_z6a

I've Got Tomatoes!

gardenweed_z6a
13 years ago

The seeds weren't winter sown but I was winter sowing when I planted them and set them in my south facing window back in March. They grew fast and I put them outside in April. They've been outside ever since, protected whenever there was frost in the forecast but otherwise hardened off early. I grow mine in containers for convenience and yesterday I found three tiny round green tomatoes on the plants.

I bought grape tomato seeds from Diane's Fower Seeds as well as a regular size tomato called Stupice that she said had good flavor and was a short DTM. These are by far the healthiest tomato plants I've ever grown but keep in mind I never grew them before last year and then only from nursery plants my son gave me for Mother's Day. These are the first I've grown from seeds.

I'd post pictures but (a) I'm posting photos challenged; and (b) they're WAY too tiny still!!

My guess is our unusually mild (for New England) winter plus the high 90's temps in April may have wreaked havoc on their growing cycle but I'll take whatever they produce and enjoy it!

Ever hear the weather in New England is changeable? Yeah...97 degrees April 7 and 29 degrees May 11. In the dictionary under "adaptable" you'll find pictures of millions of people, critters and plants right beside a map of New England. Chances are the people are huddled together for warmth, the critters are burrowed deep and the plants are coated with ice...in July!

Did I say don't get me started?

Is it also somehow against natural law that lettuce and tomatoes ripen at the same time? I love the lettuce...crave the tomatoes go with it! Is that so wrong?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz