SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quietlife3

How often are you watering?

quietlife3
12 years ago

Hello group! I'm a lurker/sometimes poster on the Home Forums. I've got my first garden in this year and I need a little advice, if you don't mind. I live near Springfield, MO.

I'm wondering how often you are watering your garden in this heat & no rain situation we've got going on here. I have been watering approximately every other day. I'm not measuring, but I'd say I give each individual plant 10-20 seconds of water from a watering can, depending on its size (I've got tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants). The watermelon, pumpkin, cantaloupe hills are getting a little longer. The sweet potatoes, corn, and green bean rows - I'm just kind of winging it. Sometimes I am using the water hose on the corn.

I'm seeing a little yellowing of the watermelon leaves and the corn. I'm not noticing any fungus. I don't water unless the soil is dry. I'm trying to test for dryness about an inch or so into the ground around the tomatoes.

I've read that you should give your plants about an inch or inch 1/2 per week, but I don't know how to tell if that's what my plants are getting. Is that even enough in this heat? I have already harvested tomatoes & beans, and I do have things growing. Found my first eggplant this morning. I didn't think they were going to make it because something got to them. So exciting!

I am sorry this got to be so long. Thank you for taking the time to read it and for any help you can provide!!

Denise

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH