SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenkid_2008

Blackthorn (Prunus Spinosa) & Rowan (Sorbus Aucuparia)

greenkid_2008
15 years ago

Hi there,

I am planning on planting two small Trees within my garden.

My garden is at the bottom of a huge Woodland, with large rocky cliffs at the North side rising up to the Woodland, think Quarry and your pretty much there, I have a large flat area facing South which I cultivate with raised beds, natural beds and greenhouse, with several large Terraces running up the North side. The steep North side has very rocky soil, and is pretty much wild and very hard to cultivate, anyway, at the top of this Northern slope begins the Woodland, with many different Tree species and very crumbly, leaf mould as soil.

I am planning to plant a Blackthorn (Prunus Spinosa) on the edge of the Woodland, into the Leafy Soil, facing South, in a clearing.

Would I need to Protect the young Tree from Herbivores?

Would I need to water the Tree periodically after planting until its established?

If anyone has any growing tips or planting tips for this Tree please let me know!!

I am also planning to plant a Rowan (Sorbus Aucuparia)down in in the cultivated section of my garden.

What conditions are favourable for this Tree?

I am planning to plant it in dappled shade, in the centre of a very humus rich bed, now this location gets more sunlight earlier in the year, followed my a lot of shade later in the year.

Can Rowans cope with deep shade during winter?, as I am hoping it would be dormant anyway in these months?

Anyway thanks for reading, and any info would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath