SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aalivings

Repotting Amaryllis & Broken Leaves

aalivings
14 years ago

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but I think it's great & very informative, so I hope someone can help me. I am currently growing my very first amaryllis bulb. (Yay!) My neighbor gave it to me about a month ago with one long leaf left on it that she said never died back (she doesn't force dormancy). Soon after I was given the plant, it started shooting up lots of tall green leaves, but no flower spikes. I am not sure of the variety, but my neighbor told me that it did not flower last year either.

I thought it looked like it was in too small of a pot, maybe buried a little too deep, and in soil that always seemed wet, even though I barely watered it. My neighbor told me she watered from a tray on the bottom, so that is what I have been doing.

Anyway, tonight I decided to "pot up" the bulb, so removed the plant from the soil and found one very large bulb and one smaller bulb. The bulbs seemed wet but firm, though some roots seemed to fall off easily when I was brushing away the soil. I laid the bulbs out on some newspaper on my dining room table for about 5 hours to let them dry out and get some "air" then repotted them seperately into larger pots. I used what I had on hand, and I potted them in a mix of spahgnum peat & perlite, with a small amount of potting soil that had all been pre-moistened with water and a "low dose" fertilizer, but didn't water anymore than that. The plants are buried about 2/3 up the bulb, so I did leave more bulb exposed than had been before. My large bulb looks great, and I think (and hope) it will be much happier in its new larger home. My smaller bulb has three very long leaves, but when I was trying to stake it for support, one of the leaves broke, and now it's cracked and leaking. I had been planning on giving that plant to my mother for Easter. Now that the leaf is broken, anything I can do to repair it? Should I just let it be, or should I cut off the broken leaf?

It would be nice if they flowered for me, I want to take some pictures and try to identify my surprise, but I guess if I have healthy leaves that's better than nothing. Did I really mess up by repotting in the spring? If it doesn't flower, when will the leaves die back?

Sorry for such a long post, and thank you for the help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions