SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecitychicken

The leaves wither but then unfold again!

thecitychicken
17 years ago

I have this clumping bamboo (looks like plain old golden bamboo but I was told it was a clumping kind) in a big pot. I've had it for about 8 years. Every year I take it out of its pot, cut half of it off, repot the half, and give it to someone for a gift. Then I keep the remaining half and repot it. It does fine. But this Winter the leaves kept drying out and curling up, as if it had no water. I would be sure to water it often, even tho we live in the Pacific NorthWet. Now it's March and it started doing its withering leaves thing. So I took it out of its pot, noticed it was pretty root-bound (even after dividing it last year), so I broke up the clump really well. I didn't divide it; I just put it back into the big pot and put some Miracle Gro potting soil on it. In a day, the leaves unfurled (I was sure they were dead this time) and perked up! Except then after a day, they started curling/drying up again. What is happening? Something is happening where the bamboo isn't getting enough water, altho it's plenty wet and well-drained. Does anyone have any ideas?? Thank you!

--Katy

Comments (7)

Sponsored