SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runawayoctober

Sick Bradford Pear tree? Yellow leaves, Dead buds

runawayoctober
14 years ago

We have what I think is a Bradford Pear in our front yard. Until lately it seemed to be healthy, but now, not so much.

The majority of the leaves have started to yellow with some green around the veins. Entire buds of new leaves have shriveled, died and are crunchy to the touch.

It hasn't been fertilized. There's only been a few touches of weed killer to the ground around its drip line. The bushes around it are robustly healthy. While dormant I pruned a few of the branches that were growing too vertically, up or down. Maybe a total of 5 or 6 small twigs. The previous owners did a good job at pruning it as well and it doesn't seem too crowded in the trunk. As far as I can tell, there's not much sign of insects.

The tree can't be much older that 4 or 5 years. The house was finished in 2005, and the neighbor mentioned they put it in when it was "tiny" after they moved in. We've only been here for about 9 months.

The neighbor also mentioned that when it was still small they had to have a hive of bees removed from it, but I can't imagine that would cause issues now?

Any thoughts? Besides some root-stocked citrus in the back, it's my only tree right now!

I've included a link to my blog where you'll find lots of pictures to the tree. Be sure to click the pictures if you want the supersized version.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's wrong with my tree?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor