SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stev379

Leland Cypress and a similar looking tree

stev379
13 years ago

We have a row of about 20 evergreens (I don't believe they're Lelands), providing great privacy between us and the house in front of ours. Our neighbors have a row of Leland Cypress trees that look much healthier providing tremendous privacy between them and the house in front of theirs.

We moved here 6 months ago and I want to add to or replace our evergreens because they are looking a little bare in spots - maybe a result of the east coast snow last winter. I'm not sure what they are. I can provide a picture if it would help. They're the same height as the Lelands (approx 42' +-), and the green branches hang down, sort of drooping.

I can't afford to purchase a bunch of 6' Lelands for a few years and want to work with babies or maybe buy one 6 footer and snip some branches to grow new Lelands.

Any suggestions on how to snip Leland Cypress branches and spawn new trees? Even if I get a new one that's a few feet tall and established, can I plant it in with the current row of evergreens or does it need more root room. The current trees get sun pretty much all day so the new Lelands will only be limited by the shade of the current evergreens. I do have other space to plant small Lelands until established, then move them if necessary.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

Comments (7)