SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterclem

Square trunk base sign of root girdling?

butterclem
14 years ago

In the course of spreading mulch around the garden today, I discovered that the trunk of a relatively mature (about 25 ft. tall) honey locust (Shademaster) is distinctly square. The trunk doesn't assume a round shape till about one foot above ground. Does this mean its roots are girdled? The tree was planted in the spring of 2007. It was B&B, good size, and planted by an experienced landscape architect (or at least nothing else has gone wrong!) And, no, I haven't buried it in mulch! I use mulch each spring and fall but carefully keep it back from all crowns and trunks.

Should I have someone excavate to see if the roots are girdled and cut out the offending roots? If so, what time of year (I'm in Pittsburgh, zone 6, and right now it's in the mid-50s, but that won't last!) Or will the tree resolve the issue on its own?

Other trees planted at the same time by the same people (a crabapple, an aronia, a serviceberry, a weeping cedar, and a pear) are doing fine. And, obviously, my guarantee has expired.

Any words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (18)