SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Garden Amaryllis At Sam's Club

jodik_gw
16 years ago

I'm all the way up in zone 5, where the winters are pretty darn frigid... so, what's going on with all these catalogs and retailers selling "Garden Amaryllis" as though these tender bulbs can suddenly survive the cold, frozen winters of the north??

And if you don't read the fine print on the packages, you would be under the impression that these bulbs will winter over just fine with a little mulch!

Some catalogs even go so far as to say that these bulbs are hardy to zone 5!

We were out shopping yesterday, and Sam's Club is offering a package of "Garden Amaryllis"... it's a good number of rather small bulbs for about $14.00... I didn't catch what zones they were marked for hardiness, but I'll bet most people will automatically think that if it's sold here, it'll survive here...

On the same shelf were packages of Kniphofia and Crocosmia, two other tender plants that don't make it through our winters... have we become a society that believes everything the commercial world throws at us? Have we become a society that thinks of everything as a "throw-away"??

I was tempted to buy a package of the hippeastrum bulbs and plant them in pots for spring bloom in my jungle, which is indoors! But I really don't need that many Minerva look-alikes!

My point is... unless there has been some recent miracle, these "Garden Amaryllis" being hawked recently will not survive in the gardens of the north!! Buyer Beware!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions