SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livingdedgrrl

AZ Newbie Needs Help

livingdedgrrl
12 years ago

Hello! I am brand new to Arizona. I've only lived here for about 8 months, although I spent quite a bit of the summer here. I am recently moved here from Ohio. I had a huge garden at my old home. My new house only has a Honeysuckle and a sprawling dark pink flower thing that visits my back yard from my neighbor's (it's pretty, so it can stay...even though I have no idea what it is).

I've tried Googling what to grow in this area, but I'm coming up short. In Ohio, we worry about whether or not a plant can survive the cold winter. My fear here is plants surviving the heat. Other threads and websites do not say where in Arizona the person lives who is asking the question. I am aware that I live in a blast furnace and that other parts of the state are not so fortunate (ha ha).

Besides cacti, what can I grow here? I had lots of giant (expensive) Irises in Ohio. My garden back home was lots of daisy, hosta, echinacea, verbena, rhododendron, etc. I've already been told that my Knifophia will melt away. :( So, I'm kinda stuck as to what kind of plants will do well here, preferably perennial. I have both sun and shade in my yard. Also, is there a special way to prep the soil or something you can recommend to make nice dirt for them?

Any help/advice at all would be appreciated, even if it's links to websites where I can read about how to do this down here. Thank you.

~Jessica

I think my zone is 8B...or 9...not really sure.

Comments (8)