Need help ID'ing this plant on my AZ property

Caroline Deegan

I'm in Cave Creek,just north of Phoenix and these flowers bloom all over in March-April.
They are 1-3 feet tall, tiny yellow flowers, sweet smelling.

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I looked on the LBJ database but got nada. Have you tried on the Arizona form?

Save    
Caroline Deegan

Didn't know there was an AZ forum--any idea where it might be found?

Thanks

Caroline

Save    
Caroline Deegan

Never mind, I found the AZ Gardening forum on this site,gracias!

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Tanacetum vulgare - tansy, aka golden buttons. Not a native plant but with a very widespread naturalized distribution. Many consider it to be a weed.

Save    
Caroline Deegan

Thanks so much for your answer--I like these plants so I will call it a wildflower!

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

It's one of those low-impact non-natives I suspect. In other words, if the natural environment of Arizona goes down the tubes, I seriously doubt it will be because of tansy. There are, of course, those who would disagree. Thing is, they're wrong, lol!

Save     Thanked by Caroline Deegan
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Some tansies around here can develop a scary root system. They died on my land.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The Arizona forum is a very active forum. I lurk there on an occasion.

Save    
Campanula UK Z8

I am not convinced that these are tanacetum vulgare. A tansy, definitely but maybe annuum? I have this (hateful) weed running amok in my herb beds (vulgare)...and rue the day I was persuaded to plant it.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

This is not Tanacetum, vulgare or otherwise.

Check out Oncosiphon piluliferum AKA Globe Chamomile, an Arizona native.

wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My first thought was a petals chamomile due to the follage. Still not native Arizona even though that site ca;alls it a wildflower. Native to south Africa. Nice plant. I wouldn't mind some seed....hint hint. LOL

floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I see - Oncosiphon is, as you say, not native to Az. I was mislead by the website.

Save    
texasranger2

I looked it up, its also called Stinknet, thats almost as good as Fetid Marigold. I like the looks of it too, wouldn't mind a few seeds.......

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

This site has Malta star thistle as a wild flower. Should I say more? Good site though but one has to be aware that they do some lumping of wild aliens in with the natives.

Save    
Caroline Deegan

Assuming this is Oncosiphon,some people asked for seeds and I would be glad to provide some but have no idea how to get seeds. I'm not a real gardener, just wanted to know the name of this plant that is all over the foothills north of Phoenix.

So if someone could give me a few instructions re how to collect seeds I would be happy to send some off when they are ready.

thanks

Caroline (OP)

Cave Creek AZ

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The seeds will be in the ball after it dries up. Take your finger and do a experimental crumble. You will most likely see the seed. If you do it too soon , wait a while longer and try again. I put them in paper backs so they can breath, at least for awhile. I wonder if you can make tea out of it.

Save    
Caroline Deegan

Thanks, I'll give it a try and post back with results when I do find some seeds.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

If not just mail the dried up balls to people. I am not picky

Save    
Caroline Deegan

OK,thanks I will do that when they are ready.

1 Like Save    
john smolowe

hi caroline - can i get your email address? john smolowe at g mail dot com

Save    
wisconsitom(Zone 4/5)

Seems I saw that plant when in Albuquerque some years ago, growing along the roadside.

Save    
lauriadora

I'm in Scottsdale and the park next to me is covered in these. Did everyone get the seeds they want? If not, I'll be happy to forage, collect & distribute once available.

Save    
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

OOH ooh, I would be interested. I think You can email me through my page. I will;; try sending you a message.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design Native Plants Help You Find Your Garden Style
Imagine the garden of your dreams designed with plants indigenous to your region
Full Story
Inspiring Gardens Inside Houzz: A Waterfront Property Ditches the Grass for a Garden
New drought-tolerant plantings and outdoor gathering spaces help this California backyard take in the view without wasting space or water
Full Story
Color Pick-a-Paint Help: How to Create a Whole-House Color Palette
Don't be daunted. With these strategies, building a cohesive palette for your entire home is less difficult than it seems
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More