SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
west_texas_peg

Need help in Id'ing a plant

west_texas_peg
17 years ago

I need some help with a plant I acquired yesterday. The owner did not have much info other than it is a 'Spider Lily'; no idea of color, etc. I immediately thought of Lycoris (maybe radiata) but it's definitely not L. radiata. I have these in my garden and am aware how their leaves and bulb look.

It arrived in a 6" pot that was literally filled with white roots, some thick like a pencil but most look like sphagnum moss. Not much soil in the pot because the root ball was so large.

The mama bulb is 3" across, a white/green hockey puck with a mass of pencil-sized and hairy sphagnum moss-like roots.

Has about a dozen bulblets formed/forming, most are coming from the underside of the bulb/basil with more coming from between the layers of the bulb. Babies are white until they poke throught the soil. Some babies appeared large enough to be removed from the mamma, so I removed and potted one that had leaves over 14" long.

Leaves are strap-like, shiny green; pointed with a ridge on the backside.

The bulb's stalk had been cut or broken off sometime ago; appears to have been over an inch across. The main bulb has no leaves, just the babies.

After more searching last night I believe it is in the Amaryllis family since leaves face the opposite one.

Definitely not a crinum; I have one and know how large the bulbs are.

Hope you can help me,

Peggy

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions