SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklynnrose

Don't Laugh: I need 'Mulch 101.' And compost. Help!!

sparklynnrose
14 years ago

You're laughing, aren't you. :)

Okay, I learned to garden with the kind of soil where you could stick a chopstick in the ground and 2 weeks later you'd have a baby pine tree. And I never mulched anything -- my entire yard was covered with wild strawberry, which kept the soil cool and moist year-round. Planting entailed cutting a 12" hole, digging a minimal hole, and walking away. Sooooo this desert clay and mulch thing is totally foreign!

Anyway, I'm in the process of planting my new yard, and I know I need to mulch everything. And that over time this is supposed to improve the soil. And somehow there is compost involved also.

But: what exactly does this mean? I know I'm supposed to mulch everything 6" thick at least to the dripline. For even a small shrub that's an entire $7 bag of mulch at Home Depot. It's labelled "composted mulch." I thought those were different things. And I don't even know if that's the right stuff!!

I am HOPING that if I figure out what the right stuff is, I can get a truckload delivered...? And then I can just make a nice layer around each plant (with a gap around the stem/trunk)...? But the drip system goes UNDER that, right? It isn't a problem that the mulch itself would then get totally dried out? If it rains, will the plants get any benefit if they have 6" of dry mulch on top catching the water? What happens to the mulch over time? Do I have to remove it before I add more?!

Someday I promise I will be able to contribute more than Clueless Newbie questions to this forum... :)

Thanks.

Comments (6)