SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklynnrose

Super-fast growing annual vine I can grow (and find) here?

sparklynnrose
14 years ago

The situation:

- 100 feet of west-facing wall (white stucco) in varying degrees of sunlight. We do have very large pines and it's in the backyard, so it gets breaks throughout the day and in the late afternoon.

- Currently planted its entire length with oleander. They fill/screen the wall pretty thoroughly.

- Oleanders are going bye-bye, to be replaced with climbing roses. Roses are currently 1-gallon, but will be very large and very thorny.

- In a perfect world, the oleander would stay until the roses get fairly large, so they (the oleanders) can reduce reflected heat and break up the long expanse of white wall until the roses can take over that job. Theoretically, I could plant the roses a couple feet farther out from the wall than the oleander is.

- In reality, getting rid of the oleander after the roses are well established would Really Not Amuse whoever had to do it (the large and thorny part) and Really Not Amuse me (I know the roses would take something of a beating in the process). Plus digging the oleander (and their roots) out would presumably disrupt the rose roots.

- So I'm wondering if there's something I can plant in front of the wall that will cover/screen it fast, but that I can get RID of when I don't need it anymore? "Annual vine" seems to fit the bill, but I'm open to other options. I've heard of runner beans and such, but realistically I'll probably live with a blank wall before I start from seed (unless I can direct sow, I guess, or MAYBE do one cycle of pots).

Any thoughts?

Help and thanks!!

Comments (9)