SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

Some Hippi, some OT and offer

First, this post is not an invitation to my "Pity Party". That was held Wednesday night. More info below, but as you all are the closest thing I have to family (I've said that before and now it's truer than ever) I felt comfortable in posting.

First...the Hippi Joy!

For those faithful followers of the adventure of "My Life as a Bee", I have made 3 exciting crosses, all with Lemon-Lime as the seed donor. Those 3 involved: Jewel (who provided abundant pollen in his/her second scape), Picotee (imaging a lemon-lime with red edging, and......GORDIE!! I am so excited and hope these take. I was very careful (and have been all season long) to strip the pollen caps so there were no "Whoops!". 2-3 years is too long to wait for a "whoops"!

Then...my lovely Lady Jane continues to push that big fat scape up and up. Looking like it will clear the neck with no problem, not it's just a waiting game. While looking at the benches out in the yard, what was waiting to surprise me?? Aphrodite has decide to send up a scape too! Just a few inches tall, with a big fat bud. YEAH!! Last spring's beauties are starting to awaken and REBLOOM!! I know how excited Jodi was...and now I can have that "pride" of a reblooming bulb too!!

Let's see...here's the offer (not Hippi related): a few years ago I bought a Porter Music Box (Swan Elite) on Ebay. I was NOT disappointed and not only got the music box (a piece of furniture really), but I got nearly 20 copper disks, and many MANY CDs and tapes (all unopened). Now...I really have no need for the tapes as they were duplicates of the CDs (I have no need for them really, but am hanging on to them), so, if anyone works with the elderly or special needs groups and they would like some music for music therapy, I would love to spread the joy and send some of these tapes. They are all music box music, from a Porter Twin Disc music box. They are really nice, but I just don't need them. I would be glad to send 1 or 2 to those who have a good cause. Please e-mail me.

Now...this is kinda sad, so stop here if you are going to be upset that you missed the "Pity Party" referred to above. My brother is a transient, addict. I've tried to help, and was always available, but he chose to shut me out for the past 11 years. Once the $$ from my dad's estate was distributed, he had no need for me (at least that's my take on it). So...For many years I sent several "family news" letters to the address I had (a hotel) and then every subsequent year, on his birthday Feb 25th, I made a phone call to the shelter where he would take meals. A couple of years ago they said they hadn't seen much of him. Last year they said they hadn't seen him and on Wednesday, they also said that they hadn't seen him. I thought he had probably moved on to another town or ??? it didn't bother me that much because I just thought that the guy answering the phone hadn't seen him but maybe others had. But on a whim I contacted the Butte County sheriff who had always been able to help and in the past he had alerted me to arrests and court dates. I got a reply from him that my brother had died 3 years ago. THREE YEARS!! I was sitting at my desk out in an open work area when I learned of this. I really lost it....bawled for several minutes and then pulled myself together. The sheriff had contacted the coroner on my behalf and they were expecting my call. That office couldn't have been nicer. They couldn't tell me anything over the phone but are sending a full report. I really beat myself up Wednesday night as I was feeling horribly guilty that I felt somewhat relieved over the news (guess I could stop worrying about him) and then on Thursday I started calling funeral homes to see if there was an outstanding balance, remains to be claimed, etc. Turns out his WIFE had claimed him...and so I let out a huge sigh of relief...he had found someone to care for him and love him and I am confident he wasn't alone when he died (at least I hope not). So...you all are now my official Hippi "family" and you are more important than ever! Sorry to go on and on, but thanks for your silent support, etc.

WHEW...it's been weird. The band at the "party" wasn't that good anyway, so I cut it short (he he he)...and they ran out of booze after 1 glass of red wine. Hmmm...host was awful cheap.

HAPPY WEEKEND. I get to start a new phase of my life and am looking forward, not back!

Have a blooming great weekend. I have to put tomatoes in the ground!

Lots of Hippi love!

Kristi

Comments (29)

• kitty747
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kristi, Lots of hippie (((HUGS))) to you. I'm sure you've gone through a lot of pain over your brother. He made his choice in life, and you made yours. You can be proud of your choice. You can't undo what he did. You can go forward with your life now, perhaps feeling a little bit lighter and more free.

On a lighter note, my older hippis are awakening, too. I'm so excited. Except for the one Lady Jane that I just posted about, everybody looks great. Looks as though the pot of Wonderland will be the first of these to open, with two blooming bulbs and some offsets growing. Next should be Unique -- have two pots of those. The most exciting part is that some of the bulbs from 2000 that had rot problems will be blooming for the first time since. It will be like receiving a gift waiting for those to open.

Kitty

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Kristi, I don't know what to say 'cause I'm from a different culture. I only hope you're OK.

Xuan

• Related Discussions

Ot: Offering Perennial Plumbago (Ceratostigma plumbagnoides)

Q

Comments (5)
    From the research I have looked up it says that it is hardy to zone 5. Shoot me an email. Michelle I even think that this can be shipped in a bubble mailer. This is a tough rhizome plant that hates wet feet that is totally easy to get established.
    ...See More

Some pretty hippy's in Oz

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi all, I have been busy with the Christmass madness over here in Oz? To answer most of you, where I got the bulb of H. bukasovii from? Was from a bromeliad collector friend who had run out of space for his broms., and needed to clear out some of his little jems like this one. I just talked to the importer of the seed (some 40 years ago) he told me that an old man in Texas swapped seed of Australian cycads for species hippeastrums he had. I do not know of any one else, who has this plant at present? though will offer seed of it when it finally does manage to produce viable seed? jodik, after seeing the African bulbs on offer to you I checked Maguire's Hippeastrum website and purchased several of their new bulbs, it almost a case of feeling you have the better choice of bulbs and I know you possibly feel similar, that I have a better choice, I call it addiction and one day I will hopefully give all these plants up and still be happy???? Yes Hippeastrums when grown in a warmer climate do put on a magnificent display when allowed to from clumps. Don't know the names of the hybrids in the above images though when they come out the show is eye catching... Hope you all have a chance to relax and be at ease for the Christmas and New Years period. I will not be on the forum for a while? so all the best................. :o)
    ...See More

OT : Urgent offer for a royal poinsettia tree

Q

Comments (14)
    Yep I did the boil water thing and then I kept them in warm water lol I got up all the time to make sure the water was warm. I did that for like 12 Hours and of corse I picked at night lol. I drove my boyfriend nuts. lolll and it works, they sprout right up I think I might have over watered them, but I find it hard to think I over watered them all. One dropped then they all slowly dropped one at a time, broke my heart. lol So I donÂt know. But they were going along good and then boom one day they just collapsed.
    ...See More

some forums not working? OT post but necessary

Q

Comments (17)
    The site has gone through some changes over the years, both in ownership and format. I joined way back when Spike (Hernandez, not Rodriquez) was in charge, before the millenium, but there were usernames and passwords at that time. And it was moderated - if Spike didn't like your tone or what you said, you would be kicked off and banned.......'sent to Disneyland' was the common phrase :-) There was no imbedded photo feature at that time - you had to link to a photo hosting site or insert the URL. And since those hosting sites have pretty much vanished with updated technology, so have the photos. At some point in the early 2000's, the site was sold to iVillage, which was subsequently acquired by NBCUniversal. And then in 2015, GW was purchased from NBCUniversal by Houzz. Here endeth the Garden Web history :-)
    ...See More
  • blancawing
    15 years ago

Dear Kristi,

I am so very sorry about your loss and the circumstances surrounding it.

Just know that you do have a real family here.

Big virtual hugs,

Blanca

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Kristi, you're story was very moving, and I feel for you and your loss. While still a newbie to these forums, it is obvious that the folks on here are like one big happy family, and you'll never be alone with friends like these!

HUGS!!!
    Ryan

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

KRISTI, my sympathies for the hard time with your brother in the past, and the sadness that he was not able to cope with life without self medicating. Now you know that he will no longer be in trouble, scared, lonely, sick, or any of those things. He rests back in the earth and you are free to go on and live your life toits fulfillment. May your life be blessed now, and the sadness be laid to rest. You are SUPPOSED to take joy in your beautiful flowers and your beautiful dogs and they will heal the remaining sadness better then anything else except the laughter shared with friends. Embrace life!

• juan_grow
    15 years ago

Dear Kristi iam sorry about your brother, i send a big hug and a prayer for your brother.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

You are SO not alone, Kristi... you're my "sister" in Texas! I can identify with your feelings, having somewhat similar family issues to deal with. I know well the helplessness and guilt at not being able to change the situation. We can only point someone in the right direction... we cannot make them go, and that's so unfortunate. It's very painful to watch those we love and care about make such self destructive choices... but we all have free will, and we all have to face the consequences of our choices in life. I'm terribly sorry for your loss, and my prayers include you.

You have much more than silent support, Kristi... at the bottom of every one of my emails is a phone number... and I'm usually here, at home... any time you feel the need to unburden yourself, rant, or just talk about anything, I'm here. Feel free to let your fingers do the walking, seriously.

On a lighter note, I did a bit of pollinating today, myself... I took Lemon Star pollen to the Queen of Hearts. There are still two blooms of the Queen open for pollen, so I'm weighing my choices.

Red Pearl opened two blooms today... or I should say, began to open... they'll be photographed tomorrow, I'm thinking. Lady Jane is ready to open her next bud, and that stressed Minerva is trying valiantly to open its final bud.

I hope your pollinations all take and grow into nice fat pods! I'm excited for you, Kristi... knowing that your bulbs from last year are growing scapes! It's a wonderful feeling to know that you had a hand in making them flower this time around!

The weather is finally getting a bit warmer... we're steadily moving toward spring! I planted more seeds today, including Hippi seeds left over from last year. I'm very interested to know exactly how long these can be kept, and still be viable.

I also planted one of my favorite annuals... Pineapple Sage! If you've never grown this, you must try it out in your garden! It gets quite large and really ends up looking like a shrub! The red flowers attract swarms of hummingbirds... they can't resist it! It blooms in the latter part of summer for me, but makes such a gorgeous display that I include it every year, saving two large spaces for it in the bulb bed. There's a blue flowered version, but I find it a bit too thin and sparse of a plant, and though pretty, it doesn't show up as well as the bright red of the Pineapple Sage!

Exotic Star is beginning to open its bud, and is slowly priming for a beautiful show... so is Red Peacock, that giant of a bulb I got earlier this season.

Lots happening in my jungle... and lots happening in yours, too, Kristi! I put your seeds to bed the other day, from list 1, and can't wait to see the little sprouts peek through the soil! This is so much fun!

On a humorous note... I'm sure I mentioned that I got a new pair of very comfy slippers for my Birthday... well, as I was getting ready to take Maia outside after her dinner, she very quietly, and without warning, filled my right slipper with upchucked supper! Ew! I was able to clean it up, so the slippers are fine... but... ew!

My Mom, God rest her soul, would put an arm around my shoulders when I was troubled, and she would say, "Tomorrow is a whole new day, Honey... you can always begin anew." Kristi, my Dear... tomorrow's a whole new day... begin fresh... and know that you have an entire family right here in this forum that cares about you. We're all behind you, ready to lend support should you need it.

If I could send a real hug as an email attachment, you'd be opening a really big file! :-)

• citrusnut
    15 years ago

Kristi, sorry for your loss. Remember, you are a good person and did the best you knew how with your circumstances. And don't forget, that you always reached out to him and kept him in your heart. Also, I'm sure that your letters to him were a comfort. He knew you cared because you did care.

• brigarif Khan
    15 years ago

All of us have to carry our crosses.May GOD give us strength to go on. Wishing you a happy future.
    Arif

• pumas
    15 years ago

Oh Kristi You have my thoughts across the miles.Sometimes there's relief in just knowing,eh Maybe your brother will be at peace from the afflictions/addictions he carried.Maybe he'll be reborn a "grinner" and stroll across your fence top all smiles! Who knows these things...It's most encouraging that you do so well with your Hipps.I learn alot from your posts and I am grateful for that.You're a great person who can embrace her shortcomings and also bathe in your blessings humbly.I admire you and respect you. Peace&Support,Mark

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Deal Kristi,
    I am new here but I wanted to offer my support & prayer.
    Hugs!!!
    Jan

• hatta
    15 years ago

Dear Kristi,

I am also new here, I would like to let you know that my thoughts are with you. As you said in the first post, you are moving forward ... all the best from me.

Regards,
    Hatta

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. It's tough...I'm used to "doing" something about a situation, and now all I can do is let it sink in. Even though we were estranged, he was still my brother and I loved him. He seemed to equate help with money, and I'm just making it on my own. I had looked into getting him into and paying for in-house rehab, but he told me he didn't have a problem. You can't help someone who doesn't want it. This has been a hard lesson for me....I am a "helper" and he rejected me years ago.

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE...my Lemon-star greeted me this morning (I left the house at 4:50 to help my friend and her fiance load the car and clear out the apt to move to NYC). 10 minutes into their drive, I got a call...they'd missed the turn off for the major east-bound highway...and I got them turned around and back on it. They have an AAA trip tik...not they just need to USE IT! :-)

SOMEONE TAKE THE TAPES>>>>PLEASE!!!!
    :-)
    K

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Kristi... maybe it sounds lame, but your brother is in a better place now, unencumbered by the needs and wants and pains of the earthbound. He's finally at peace, and you can take some solace in that.

In the age of GPS, no one should get lost on our nation's highways! I'm fairly good with directions, but Larry can get lost at the end of the driveway! I'm always frustrated by his lack of directional skills... some of us have them, and some of us don't! I'll never understand it!

Isn't Lemon Star lovely?! I do like this one! As is ages, it gets prettier... give it a few days!

• gmwill
    15 years ago

Dear Kristi,

Thank you very much for sharing your life with us.
    Life is never dull when we remember to reach out to our friends. Sadness only reminds us to really appreciate Joy when we have it.

Best Wishes!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi....she has a GPS, but I KNOW they didn't program the entire trip into it. She was relying on visual and trip tik. She was navigating and Eric was driving. At least once they got on I-10 they stayed put for 420 miles. I just spoke to her and they are good...on track. Of course, it's supposed to snow from Atlanta to NY tomorrow. I felt very motherly telling her that it didn't matter if they took an extra day, they need to arrive in 1 piece, not on time. AND...it's not so much them as "the other guy". She is from Phili so snow driving isn't new to her and he's been in NYC all winter so they know it can be dangerous.

Off to make a cheesecake and clean out the car. Got a surprise call that a guy who's in town from out of state wants to take me to dinner! WHOO HOOO...of course my car is jam packed with cleaning supplies, plants, etc and all the things Jessie and Eric couldn't fit into theirs. I am shipping them a box with their aloe plant (sentimental) and some other things. Ahhhhh...kids!

K
    (and I'm doing fine....just weird to think that he's gone...and yes, I'll dwell on this in my head for a long time...)

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Dear Kristi - how I do sympathize. 6 years ago I was at work, and got an email (an email!) that my brother had died. I must have sat at my desk staring at the screen for awhile - stunned. What a way to find out. It was October, and he died, alone, sometime back in August. What was I doing at that moment - in August - as he was dying, alone? Gardening? Swimming? Laughing? This will haunt me to my death. He too had a troubled life, addiction and all of that goes with such a life. But we were close when we were younger. Not a day goes by I don't think of him.
    ((((Hugs)))

Original Author
    15 years ago

Dear Anna,
    I am so glad that there is someone who really understands the shock of getting such a message after being in nearly the same shoes. I also was thinking about what I may have been doing on 2/11/06. I was preparing to go on a huge trip to Australia and New Zealand. I was happy....and he was sick or injured (I still don't have the coroner's report but that should come today or Monday). I am thrilled that he was married, as maybe she was able to comfort him in some way.

He was nearly 5 years older, and we hadn't ever been very close. When I was 8 and he was 13 he started down the road that eventually led to his demise. I think we may have had a good relationship from the time I was 3 until I was 8...too short of a time. Sad to think that it was only 5 years.

You shouldn't let your brother's situation haunt you. Yes...it bothers us...but we had no control over it. It's not like someone called and we ignored them. My brother had my phone numbers, but somehow I am doubting that his wife even knows that I exist. I am going to let sleeping dogs lie. I'm sure I'll be questioning this for a long time to come, but I need to forgive him and myself for any missed opportunities.

:-) BIG HUG!
    Kristi

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Kristi, you seem very grounded, and I always get the feeling that you're a very strong and independent person... I'm very glad to know that you have a good handle on recent events.

And more hugs for you, Kristi... I think you'll be fine. You have your feet set solidly on the ground, and a good head on your shoulders. I think you're looking at everything from a good perspective. But even so, we're here.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again....something really weird (2 nanoseconds) happened today. When my brother had housing he shared a mobile home with his wife. It was on the outskirts of Oroville, CA. Today on my way home from getting the "kids" off to NYC, I passed a trailer park that looked very much like his. I don't know why I did, but I glanced down the main road in it and half expected to see his truck. He hasn't had the truck since about 1998, so I don't know WHY I expected to see it, but I know that one of the steps in the "process" is that you look for the person you have lost. I really did expect to see his truck. It was so weird. I immediately told myself he doesn't live there, etc....but it was an odd moment.

I don't know how strong I am (good outside, weaker inside) but I am independent. I have to be since I have to depend on me being there for me...ya know!!

Off to go get showered and dressed for a DATE!!! (first one in too long). Have a good evening!
    K

• elizabeth_jb
    15 years ago

Sometimes, we don't say much because it still hurts so bad inside.

I lost my brother, 13 months younger than me in a tragic accident. Even though he lived in Texas, we were close and there were times that he moved in with me. I can't imagine what I would have done without him in my early years as I moved from city to city and he and my younger brother were there to help me move.

I am so sorry for your your loss, and OMG, I wish I had a date, but that's okay becuase I have a house full of teenage boys staying over tonight.

They are a hand full, and a joy!

Have a BLAST!!!

Ann

• beachplant
    15 years ago

First my sympathies on your brother. I understand completely. My brother had an addiction problem for years. He now has seizures, has become very religious and won't associate with us. We had no word from him for 2 months after Hurricane Ike. It was a relief to find him alive and well but we all dread the phone call.

Second, and most important, How Was The Date??? We're all on pins and needles here wondering.

You know if you ever need to get away we have a spare bedroom, if you don't mind a dog bugging you, and you are always welcome for a beach vacation. I'll search your bags on the way out for hippi bulbs!!LOL!
    Tally HO!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Dear Elizabeth,
    I am so sorry that you carry so much pain inside. I think I know how bad it is...only because the death of both parents still causes much pain. We ache for them and the "hole" that they leave. Lucky you to be so close to your brother. I will never know the closeness of a sibling as he and I were the only 2 children. He was my parent's biological child and they adopted me from birth. Sometimes I think he didn't like me...and he was the only family member to ever treat me differently or said anything about me not "really" being family. This was especially obvious when my dad died and made me the executor of the estate (younger child...and in my brother's opinion "not blood"), so maybe that's why he cut me out of his life. I could try to guess for years, but am trying to close the book on a chapter that was particularly painful. I beat myself up for years, and now that he's gone, I have to let the pain and the "shoulda, coulda, woulds" go. I don't claim this to be a universal approach, but I can get on with my life not worrying about him and I am glad that he's not in need of anything. He wouldn't take any help I offered unless it involved a "dead president" (I heard someone refer to money as that and thought it was clever). So...the weight is off my shoulders. I am still sad and will be everytime I think of him...but I can't let it drag me down. MY HIPPIS NEED ME to be happy!!

THE DATE was nice (ok, it's 9PM and I'm home....) this was dinner with Ed. I met him on a cruise in 1997 (they thought we were a married couple!!) and we have dinner every year. He lives in IL and I usually catch up with him on the way to a dog show. He happened to drive his new car down towards Houston and invited me to a very nice Italian resturant. New car??? His old Miata was just fine by me...fun and zippy (I used to have a convertible too), but the new car is fun and zippier. A new Porche boxter! Boys and their toys.

Tomorrow is another "date" of sorts. Going to a wine tasting and meeting a friend (Alan) there. Asked him what I should bring and he recommended cheesecake, so I made a Chocolate Kaluha chocolate chip cheesecake with ganauche(?) on top!

:-) see what these guys are missing?? Handy in the yard AND kitchen??
    Kristi

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Kristi, Anna and Ann- I never have the right things to say, but wanted to let you all know that you are in my thoughts and prayers for comfort and peace. He will bring you to it and he will bring you through it.

-Frank

Original Author
    15 years ago

Frank....You ALWAYS have the right thing to say. Thanks for caring about us. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Just hours before I found out, I walked to Barnes and Nobel and bought a great book (at least the first chapter is wonderful); it's titled "Total Forgiveness" and one of the people I needed to forgive was my brother. See....things happen and we don't even think about the "Master plan".

Have a great Sunday!
    K

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

See? We are sisters! I'm adopted, too! :-)

That cheesecake sounds beyond wonderful... I can picture it in my head, and I can feel my butt getting bigger as a result! I don't even have to eat sweets to gain the weight! LOL!

I'm glad your "dating" is going well... a few distractions are good right about now, I'm sure! I've always felt that everything happens for a reason... and that in the end, it's all exactly how it's supposed to be... I guess you could it a Master Plan...

You might have to be strong for yourself, but never think you're alone! You're only a phone call away, Kristi! And I mean that. Bottom of every email...

I hope you have fun wine tasting... it does sound fun! I've never done that... funny, because we were looking at wines yesterday at the store, trying to find a decent pinot noir for a dinner.

Kristi, Ann, Anna, and everyone... you're all always part of my prayers... and I wish the very best for everyone. Life is full of twists and turns, and I think the difficult parts serve to make us stronger in some ways. I wish I had something poetic to say... just reading all these heartfelt responses... you can feel the "family". :-)

• mariae
    15 years ago

Dear Kristi, you ARE a very DEAR person. You have the affection of all these people not related to you, but related in a way you couldn't imagine.
    The most difficult thing in life is to recognized that in different ways we all need help, that we all have problems, it is a pity some people just don't get it, but it is not your mistake to try to give it. You have nothing to repent of, but I understand it is so difficult to watch when it is just out of our hands.
    Don't be sad he is in a good place and be sure life will show you how he appreciate everything you have done.
    Mariae.

• belfair
    15 years ago

Kristi:
    You are definitely not alone. The next time I am in Houston visiting my kids I hope we can get together. I would love to take you to dinner to thank you for the seeds I received last week. I fly in and out of IAH and it looks like you are not too far north of there. I get there several times a year so I"ll look you up!

• e36yellowm3
    15 years ago

Kristi, so sorry to hear. Sometimes the things that weigh us down are made somewhat easier with friends to support us - and it sounds like you've got a great bunch here :-) You've got my support as well. Alana

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions