SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

Finished planting today.

kqcrna
14 years ago

I am, essentially finished with planting. I dumped 3 dud jugs into the compost, kept only a jug of red hot poker with one sprout and a jug of nasties also with one sprout.

I spent time weeding (added another 5 gallon bucket of verbena bonariensis to the compost) and transplanted a few miscelaneous volunteers. Top dressed the tomatoes and a few other perennials with compost and mulched the toms with straw. Watered a few things, still no rain here and temps in the 80s.

All in all, a very productive day.

Karen

Comments (26)

• lgslgs
    14 years ago

How cool!

I just finished my planting out today too. Did keep some unsprouted blackberry lilies and cannas (but planted their sprouted siblings) and the hellebores. Also one flat with 1000 baby heleniums that are too small to go out yet. But everything else was plunked out in a final frenzy.

Next on the agenda, sit on the porch and admire the garden for a while. It is so cool having sowing and planting out done instead of still being in the height of sowing. This WS business is really great.

Did you plant a tithonia hedge again this year? That was so pretty in last year's photos.

Lynda

• PVick
    14 years ago

Congrats to both of you! I've barely even started ....

PV

• Related Discussions

Started planting seed in flats today

Q

Comments (7)
    "Overachievers." LOL! I've got broccoli, bok choi and cabbage sprouting for a 3/1 plant date. I'm also extremely excited that it's a 3-day weekend and the highs will be 65 and sunny. I'm just waiting for the morning fog to burn off then I'm out to pull up the peas I tried to over-winter without frost protection (did not work). I've got a compost pile that needs turning. A wheelbarrow with a flat tire that needs fixing. And the last of my winter broccoli can be harvested and pulled. Then I plan to try setting out wet newspapers to "catch" any slugs that are patiently waiting for my seedlings. I just read that it's best to get the slugs under control BEFORE you plant, as once you do, they'll skip the bait and go straight for the good stuff. I need to get Medieval on these things, as they will wipe out a seedling to the ground in one night. Like you, Penny, I've bought all my veggie seeds for the year and am just waiting for my start dates to come up. I won't be starting my tomatoes or peppers for another month yet.
    ...See More

Finished planting out today...

Q

Comments (14)
    I'm growing several kinds of radishes. This is them in the center. They are French Breakfast, Black Spanish Round, Black Spanish Long, Long Scarlet, Early Scarlet, White Icicle, White Hailstone, Chinese Green Luobo, Chinese Red Meat, China Rose, and Purple Plum. There are also some Scarlet Nantes carrots, Purple Top White Globe turnips, Red Round Turnips, Hollow Crown Parsnips and Detroit Red Beets in there as well.
    ...See More

finished mulching today and would like opinions on how it looks

Q

Comments (1)
    The mulch looks fine, can't really go wrong about laying it down. But the beds are a bit short on the vertical aspect.. However, that could be that you are just using it as a border and growing into your native soil, so if that's the case, then it's good too. You can try to grow your vine plants upward so that they don't block your paths.
    ...See More

Finished the EarthTainer Project Today - Phase 6 of 6 Done.

Q

Comments (4)
    joytwo, I took this photo at 7:00pm, so it is not representative of the daily sun exposure. Fortunately, the bed faces due South, and now the Sun is virtually arcing straight overhead, so they do get lots of light. bdobs, really crazy temps in the Bay Area this past 2 weeks. Harvesting my first Stupice now, but the rest, as you observed, have slowed down a bit. Raybo
    ...See More
  • tepelus
    14 years ago

I worked all day today. Would have been nice to get some planting done. But my yard now has a fog of mosquitoes. Ugh! You wouldn't want to open your mouth walking through my yard, you'd swallow about a hundred of them. Time to find mosquito fog and kill them.

Karen

• mayberrygardener
    14 years ago

Only started planting out, but then, I WS mostly veggies; the flowers sow themselves--wish I could post a picture, but there is a self-sown HOS in my planter box that is thicker than my daughter's hair! After hauling planter boxes, soil, turning everything over and plunking 28 pepper plants, I feel like I won't be able to walk tomorrow, and I have only planted the peppers. ACK, my aching back!

Hope I'm able to walk tomorrow; I'll start on the maters (maybe).

Karen, you have my sympathies with the skeeters--they don't carry anything bad like West Nile in your neck of the woods, do they? I had WN a couple years back, and it SUCKS big-time. I don't recommend it; I DO recommend avoiding those blood-sucking B%&*#s (only the females bite) at all costs!

• donn_
    14 years ago

"Finished planting!"

I'll never be finished planting, and I didn't WS this year. I'm still planting out stuff I WS'd 4 years ago.

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lynda, I can't believe you've already planted out all that you sowed. Wow! I haven't planted any tithonia- at least not yet. Still considering direct sowing some, though.

Karen, those skeeters sound dreadful. If you need a bug repellent spray for yourself I highly recommend Avon SSS stuff- I never get a bite when I use it.

{{gwi:194666}}

Karen

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Congrats on finishing planting out.
    I am soooo far from being done! I have only planted out my tall snaps, baby's breath, four tomatoes, cynoglossum, calendula (radio) and one other that escapes me right now.
    I LOVE your foxgloves! I really want to have them in the garden but they never do well for me. WS candy mountain this year and one tiny sprout in the container....not even sure it is a foxglove. :)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Finished? FINISHED??!!! Yikes, I've barely started. I was hoping to get a good jump on it today but only got about 5 or 6 jugs planted out when the heavens let loose - I figured the tornado warnings were enough to send me inside, if the pouring rain wasn't. Tornadoes in CT - that's about as uncommon as me being done planting out in May, lol!

Congrats and enjoy your garden!
    :)
    Dee

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dee, send me some rain, please!!!

I still have a lot of work to do out there. Weeding, mulching, watering, transplanting volunteers...

Karen

• tepelus
    14 years ago

The skeeters are terrible. I think they are worse this year than last. I don't know where they all came from, just two days ago, Bam!, there they are. They don't seem to have interest in biting, yet, but there are so many, they are annoying. I don't know if West Nile is problematic around here, and I've tried the Avon Skin So Soft before, it works okay for a mild mosquito problem, but I need to use Off. And, the foxglove are so very pretty!

Karen

• token28001
    14 years ago

I've just finished planting out my wintersown containers. I'm still waiting on some of my spring sown containers. And then in the fall, there will be more containers. And then winter again. And spring, and fall, and winter and .... finished? Who? I don't understand the word.

• daisydawnny
    14 years ago

I have spent the last 2 days from sun up to sun down planting out. I should finish today. I am sure I will plant more, like Token I will never be finished, just too much fun!

• token28001
    14 years ago

I can already tell that I will need to build more beds this summer for what I want to sow this fall and winter. I'm going to get rid of more grass this year. No reason to mow when I can sow!

• silverkelt
    14 years ago

I have lets see about 50 or 60 daylily seedlings left.. 40 of which Im trading away... for irises... which I dont have room for obviously..

About 6 jugs left of winter sowing, which I do not have room for at the moment,

Just created my new veggie patch! Which of course I now have to plant..

Still have to direct sow my cosmos..

HOWEVER, Im sooooo far ahead of where I started feels great!

I still have more trees to cut down though and my second primary rose bed to make =( for next year, Im probable going to settle for about 70 to 80 roses, I had more in my last place but with more kids and more work responsiblity and more church duties, gardening comes last (sorta =)

Silverkelt

• karendee
    14 years ago

I planted out the last of my containers yesterday too. I dumped all that had not germinated in my veggie/ holding bed area. I figure they might sprout later. I was sick of babysitting them :)
    I guess I could say I am done WS'ing but still need to weed, fertilize etc... so I guess we are never actually done.
    Karen

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

I just started on Saturday, most of what I have is not up to the seedling stage yet. I planted out some tiny sprouts anyway. I just made sure they had plenty of Sluggo around them and hope for the best. Farmer's Almanac said it was a good week end to plant, I sure hope I can get some more in today.

The condo association had everything mulched over on Friday. Sure makes planting out harder! There went my plans for adding a couple of inches of compost...

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

Never done planting out - I always have something going on in the shade house and on the seedling table under the pine trees but I do however take times each day to just sit in various parts of the yard and enjoy what we have done. Husband and I are retired and gardening is what we do so while some of it is some hard work most of it is play and pure enjoyment .....

Lynne

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

I'm excited to have done my tipsy pots today! I also planted a container of Pansies. I can't wait for them to take off, next week end is supposed to be close to 80, so the warm up coming and so is the color!!

• vera_eastern_wa
    14 years ago

Good for you Karen :)

I'm soooo far behind it's not even funny! I still have to plant:
    Nicandra
    Linaria
    Brussel's Sprouts
    Petunia
    Trailing Carnation (a few planted)
    Beans (just beginning to germ.)
    Venidium
    Ascepsias tuberosa
    Ascepsias incarnata
    Zinnia (letting more germinate)and just re-sowed another container of Prufussion)
    Marigold
    Datura (resowed)
    Calendula (no matter there's a ton of self-sown!)
    Carrot 'Purple Dragon'
    Strawberry Popcorn (just sown)
    Cosmos (just sown)
    Celosia (just sown and starting to germinate)

The list goes on! ACK!!!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Well, I may not be finished, but I feel like I'm in the home stretch anyway. There's probably more than 40 containers still on the patio, but I sowed somewhere around 120, so I have definitely made progress. Today, the wintersown tomatoes, and indoor sown peppers went out.

{{gwi:391767}}

It's hard to see the tomato plants, but they are planted next to the T-posts. The winds snapped my tomato stakes in half last summer, and I lost an entire plant loaded with full sized tomatoes, so this year I'm getting serious!

{{gwi:391768}}

It started raining lightly, but I was determined to get most of the perennials planted today, so I just kept going. Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' went out today, as well as Geum 'Blazing Sunset', Lychnis 'Vesuvius', Silene regia, and my second batch of dianthus, since my first batch died after planting out.

Most of what is left are the least frost resistant stuff, such as basils, sunflowers, marigolds, and zinnias, plus a few more annuals for containers on the porch that just aren't big enough to plant out yet. Well, and a few containers that didn't germinate.

Feels good to have the veggie garden in!

Bonnie

• mmqchdygg
    14 years ago

Bonnie- your new bed is coming along FABulous!

I'll never be completely done, I'm afraid. I always find something else to do/sow. This year, although my perennials are taking up plenty of space, I can still see DIRT, so I MUST SOW MORE!
    I think I'll try my hand at DS zinnias. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. And still waiting on a B/O from Swallowtail on Dreamland Red Zinnias. I hope they show up soon so I don't have to do one of my favorite beds in something ELSE. But it won't be a tragedy if I have to sow something else, really.

• ajpa
    14 years ago

Finished? FINISHED??!!! Yikes, I've barely started.

LOL. Me too.
    It's because the spots to put them aren't ready -- eiterh don't exist or are full of weeds.

• nancy_drew
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness, ajpa! I swiped some mulch from another area of the garden, threw it down and planted right through it. I have no time to dig up the old sod. I did that where I put my tipsy pots. I pulled up some sod, but nearly as much as I should have. I figure when the seedlings get a bit bigger, I can always throw some compost and more mulch down to kill the grass off for good. I call that my "insta-bed" garden! Oh, I'm such a lazy gardener!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

LOL, ajpa! You quoted me, and now I'm going to quote you:

"It's because the spots to put them aren't ready -- eiterh don't exist or are full of weeds."

Bingo! That's exactly my problem! Or MOSTLY exactly my problem. I had grand plans to make new beds and extend existing beds last fall (lasagna method) and the snow came early and never really left! So I have the same bed-space I had last year and 260 containers to plant out.

I got what I thought was a good amount planted yesterday, which was a beautiful day. But when I turned back to my container area, it looked like I barely made a dent, lol. Oh well, it'll get done... or it won't, but they'll live and bloom in the milk jugs. Won't be the first time, lol.

:)
    Dee

• kqcrna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Things just don't do well for me if I don't plant early. It just gets too hot too fast and that heat is stressful on newly planted seedlings. I tried to transplant some volunteers yesterday and they wilted in minutes. Some will recover, some probably won't.

Karen

• lblack61
    14 years ago

Congratulations, Karen!
    Now you can just sit back and chill with a little chay chay in the chaise (as Bakemom might put it :-).

I have a heck of a lot of work ahead of me still. I always have to wait for the patio bed to wake up. Because of its location-- and I always forget what's planted where in it) it's the last to get planted into. But it's probably also the area where I have the most room.

And then my other planting area is where the horsechestnut tree is "taking off" at this time of year, with all the bumble bees in it. So I can't plant in my shade bed (which is right next to the tree). I've walked in the house with a bumblebee in the hood of my hoodie once, and that was all I needed to keep me away from that area until the blooms are gone of the tree.

-- the black flies were awfully early this year too. yuuch. I need a few mornings of some serious plunk-and-run(s).

So think of me and wish me a little more courage and a lot more energy while you sit back and relax :-)

Linda

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor