SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Smaller Evergreen Shade Tree Recommendations?

jaxo
10 years ago

I would like to place a tree at each end of my patio that will grow to provide shade in the next 5 years or less, but not become huge with roots damaging the fence or concrete/flagstone that will be on either side.
I plan on starting off with 10 gallon plantings if possible.
I would like them to grow to be just tall enough that they provide shade on the patio and so we can walk under the lowest branches without massive pruning.
Obviously, if they are to become big enough to provide any useful shade they cannot be super small, but I don't want anything that would ever grow to where the available space around it will become and issue in the future. I don't want any concerns that the roots and trunk will eventually overgrow the ground space available and then require removal.

The summers are hot and dry averaging in the 90's but a heatwave of 110 temps for a couple days is not unheard of.
There is some overnight frost in winter, but more than half of the winter there is no frost.

I don't want anything the drops messy amber, seeds or berries.

Some trees I'm thinking about are:

Majestic Beauty Hawthorne
Phontinia standard
Little Gem Magnolia

I'd like to see if there are some better choices I should look at.

Even though shade is not as important in winter, I prefer evergreens because I don't like barren look the trees have when they drop all their leaves and go dormant and I want to keep the additional privacy the foliage provides year round.

If there are absolutely no suitable evergreens, then I will consider something else since it will still provide warm weather shade and will be better than nothing.

In the smaller corner is the first picture below there will be around 4 feet of ground space to grow in and in the other corner it will be up to 6 feet of space if some of the other small plants are removed and more around the same 4 feet if I leave the other plants.

I'd like to see some recommendations and opinions on the best choices for relatively compact shade trees.

The first photo below is where one of the trees would go.
That small shrub would be moved or disposed of to make space for the tree.

The second tree would be at the opposite end of the patio near the fence and also in the corner.

{{gwi:457880}}

{{gwi:457881}}

{{gwi:457883}}

{{gwi:457884}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County