SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Experiences with a few climbers

Karolina11
11 years ago

So after baking all day, my mind is a little addled and I am thinking of adding some more climbers to my 97 already ordered roses for Spring.

Recently, I saw someones gorgeous photo of a pink climber on a white picket fence and lucky me, I have a white picket fence!

Thus I am looking at a few and need some thoughts on them and maybe some recommendations.

I am in central PA (zone 6b) with acidic clay for soil. My white fence is only three feet tall so I need climbers whose canes are not super stiff as I will need to train them close to horizontal. I am also concerned about blackspot, I do spray but not as often as I should due to only being home on the weekends. I also would like reblooming varieties.

Here is what I am thinking about:
1. Roberta Bondar - I have a row of Hotel California HTs that I think this would look good growing over (plant it on the other side of the fence so it peeks over).
2. Rosanna - love the color of it! It would be near a Peter Mayle HT so am wondering whether it would clash with the hot pink.
3. Heritage - not sure how easy this one is to grow as a climber. Regan lists it as a climber but HMF makes no mention of it. Is there a better climber with similar flower shape and color? My problem for this spot is that it is partially shaded on one side of the fence by a lilac but has full sun on the other. I need to plant this one on the side of the shade to peek out to the sun.
4. Need a apricot climber to go behind a bed of lavender and apricot roses. Thinking about Breath of Life but HMF lists only occasional rebloom. Is that correct and if so, any other suggestions?
5. I also have a large shed in full sun that I would love to cover with a climber or two. Would love an orange or a striped or some original looking color.

Thank you everyone and happy holidays!

Comments (5)