SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Please suggest climbers or ramblers?

I want to put in 3 roses along my fence next summer. I already have 4 clematis spaced 16' apart (at every other main post). I wanted to put 1 rose in between the clematis at the other 3 post's. My clematis colors are medium-deep red and medium-deep purple. So I want to stay away from those colors for the roses. I want to have colors that pop too. Raspberry, yellow, orange, apricot, ect. Strong fragrance is a must, continous blooms, very hardy (weather and disease, I don't spray). Doesn't have to have alot of petals. I don't mind simple 5 petaled roses as long as they have the other attributes I want. I don't need blooms for cutting, I prefer to look at them in the garden. I rarely cut for blooms, unless I'm bringing a bouquet to somebody.

I have never had anything other than bush roses, so I don't know if what I need is a climber or rambler. My fence is 4' posts, concave's to 3 1/2' in the middle of each panel. Panel's are 8' wide. I want a rose that I can train to spread 4'-5' across and climb up and just slightly ramble over the top of the fence. I don't want to have to worry about canes hanging way over the fence and swaying in the breeze, unless it's ok to tie them back to fence some how without splitting or cracking canes. I don't get along with my bordering neighber at all and we only had our fence put 1' in from our property line. I don't want to go outside 1 morning to find she hacked my canes because they were hanging over onto her yard. I wouldn't put it past her either.

I could also do climbing minature roses if I could find scented ones. I don't mind small buds.

Also if somebody could suggest where to buy them own root online. Places accepting Paypal are a bonus.

Melissa

Also, I am in zone 5. I do pile up leaves around and over my other roses now, but unsure of what special care climbers need.

Comments (9)