SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aerbk7b

Climber/rambler for 12 fence in part shade/north facing (zone 7a/NYC)?

aerbk7b
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I would love some suggestions for a climber or rambler to grow on a tall fence (12ft) at the back of my, narrow garden in NYC. The fence is in part shade/north-facing. It could be either repeat, or once blooming - but if once blooming would like it to have good foliage retention/disease resistance. I’d prefer it be in the apricot family, or at least somewhat suggest that effect, eg it could be pink-ish but have prominent gold stamins) I already have Crown Princess Margareta. that‘s done very well climbing on a pretty shady east-facing fence, and would like to keep it somewhere in that color scheme but don’t think CPM would get tall enought to work on a 12’ fence? The fence gets about 4-5 hours of morning, to late morning, sun after the neighboring trees are fully leafed out, possibly a little more. Here are some I’ve thought of so far:

Albertine - shade tolerant enough in NYC?

Alchymist - ditto re shade?

Compassion - ditto re shade?

Jaune Desprez/Crepuscule (not hardy/tall or shade tolerant enough in NYC?)

Reve d’or - ditto/too yellow?

Ghislaine de F - too yellow/short?

Phyllis Bide (too short?)

Lady of the Lake Austin rambler — not really the right color?

Conversely, I had considered Darlow’s Enigma, though was really trying to find something apricot-ish. Also thought about a species, eg eglantine that would be more like a very tall hedge/screen w/great foliage rather than “climbing” — tho that’s not the color scheme...

Here’s a photo of the fence from a few years ago. Since this was taken, many of the over hanging tree branches have come down, so it gets more sun. There’s now a clemaris virginiana growing all over the lower fence right under the tree.

Comments (13)